Really slow performance on FTP transfers

Really slow performance on FTP transfers

Postby Cubytus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:56 am

Hello there,

after finally installing the fvdw firmware, I activated the FTP server, and found the file transfer performance to be really low, like 4MB/s. Is there a diagnostic that can be ran so as to find the source of such a slowness? The cloudbox is on a gigabit network of course.
Cubytus
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Really slow performance on FTP transfers

Postby Jocko » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:01 am

Hi Cubytus

Indeed, it may be too low. Usually, write speed should be the same than with samba server.

Did you check if your FTP client has an option to limit the transfer speed? (it is usual)

Did you run tests over internet? (=> ISP limit)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Cubytus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:16 pm

No, I tested it over the LAN. I may be a newbie with fvdw, but not as a power-user. I never set any limit on the FTP client, but is there one either on FTP or AFP? Both protocols yield similar speeds.

A reboot of the NAS seems to have solved the issue, at least partially: I now have around 25MB/s, still a far cry from LaCie's own specifications as they give an optimum rate of 60MB/s, and not in line with what I expected from a 7200rpm hard drive, even on a LAN.

I took the time to look at the DDNS system, but it seems unable to work with noip.com: usernames are full email addresses, and the field doesn't allow for typing the address in full, and spits out an error when periods and @ are entered. Does this field need some specific token? I remember the WD My Book Live just works fine with inadyn.

I understood the booting process wasn't trivial, and wanted to use the same commands I used on my WD My Book Live to find out which hardware is running. But it seems that common utilities such as apt-get, hwinfo, htop are not installed by default. Is fvdw based upon a "naked" Linux kernel, chained to a specific bootloader? Or some basic distro like Debian?
Cubytus
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:46 pm

25 MB/s is what we get also on a nwsp2 which has similar cpu an amount of RAM as the cloudbox. The performance claimed by lacie is not possible also not with lacie firmware.

Our firmware currently runs on linux 3.14.2 kernel with a package of applications, libs needed for all the features the firmware offers. The bootloader is u-boot, on some devices we offer an upgrade of this bootloader to enable use of gpt partitioned disks and break the 2 TB limit
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Cubytus wrote:I took the time to look at the DDNS system, but it seems unable to work with noip.com: usernames are full email addresses, and the field doesn't allow for typing the address in full, and spits out an error when periods and @ are entered.
Indeed, this point must be improved but with no-ip, you can use as login either your email address or your account name. (Currently it is my case ans it works)

Note: htop is available (/usr/bin/htop)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Cubytus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Well, what could be my account name? I am not aware of any other identifier than my email address at noip, and the email address can't be entered in the field in the web interface. Maybe manual configuration in a text file would be possible?

What about the error given when trying to run htop?

Code: Select all
/usr/bin # ./htop
Error opening terminal: xterm-color.

This only appears with the standard Mac OS X terminal, but not the XQuartz terminal. Is a variable missing?
Cubytus
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Cubytus wrote:Well, what could be my account name? I am not aware of any other identifier than my email address at noip, and the email address can't be entered in the field in the web interface. Maybe manual configuration in a text file would be possible?
After sign in , to go this page https://www.noip.com/members/account/account.php

Cubytus wrote:What about the error given when trying to run htop?
If I remember well, there is somewhere a topic about it.

With MAC, it seems that the default terminals string info is xterm-color whereas fvdw-sl provide only two string-info:xterm and vt100.
you should change it in your terminal settings
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Cubytus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks Jocko, I had to create a username on Noip.com, which I just did. However, the password field now requires only digits and letters, but my password has special characters in it. fvdw's requirements goes against basic security advice, so how to change that restriction in fvdw?

I changed the Terminal settings to xterm, and now can get an output from htop, exactly like it would look like with xterm-color. Can fvdw parameters be changed so as to ignore remote terminal string and silently default to xterm or VT100 when another one is detected?
Cubytus
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Cubytus wrote:I changed the Terminal settings to xterm, and now can get an output from htop, exactly like it would look like with xterm-color. Can fvdw parameters be changed so as to ignore remote terminal string and silently default to xterm or VT100 when another one is detected?
No this is on the user side: on the user side, Terminal asks to use a string info and the server returns string encoded with this option if the string info is supported. But we should see to add xterm-colors in fvdw-sl.

Cubytus wrote:Thanks Jocko, I had to create a username on Noip.com, which I just did. However, the password field now requires only digits and letters, but my password has special characters in it. fvdw's requirements goes against basic security advice, so how to change that restriction in fvdw?
Currently,no. Need to make several changes that you can not do and it is a bug. It should accept this chars: a-zA-Z0-9!%~_/^[]@$ .+-

I go to see to make a patch.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Attached a patch to fix the password issue for testing.

To install it you need to create a share fvdw and save the zip file here.
Go to the upload patch menu.
Select the file in the first field and use as control code unzip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)