why can't I save bootcmd or bootdelay in uboot with saveenv

why can't I save bootcmd or bootdelay in uboot with saveenv

Postby xuttux » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi,

I change the original value of bootcmd or bootdelay. At the next boot, the new value is replaced by the original one. How can I save the new value?

Thanks.
Sincerely
xuttux

Re: why can't I save bootcmd or bootdelay in uboot with save

Postby fvdw » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:22 pm

You can't save new environment on u-boot, I assume you have the stock u-boot of lacie still installed. That is programmed to set several environment variables during boot. I know not very nice of lacie. But there might be a work around.
In this post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2313&start=10#p20693 concerning installation of fvdw-sl firmware on the lacie wireless space it is described how this workaround works and how a customer bootcmd can be set. In case your u-boot version is old then this workaround might not work, but as this is a 5big vs2 i think it will support this method
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: why can't I save bootcmd or bootdelay in uboot with save

Postby xuttux » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:23 am

Hi,

Thank you for your tricks. I didn't have time to try it. It's also working on a 5big2.

Fvdw console = SERIAL-to-USB connection between the 5big2 motherboard and a PC or a mac.
With the serial-to-USB connection, you need a terminal and the command : "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 8N1" without double quote. Power on the 5big2. You can see the boot procedure on your terminal. After the IDE reset ("LUMP ..."),push on <ctrl><c>. Don't wait too much. ;)

To save the uboot variable : "bootcmd", go to uboot prompt:
setenv LaBackdoor yes
setenv bootcmd "... your cmd to boot"
saveenv
reset

You don't need also to change the bootargs variable. The important thing is the creation the LaBackdoor variable set to yes.

For example: my command boot is:
setenv diskload "ext2load ide 1:6 0x800000 /uImage ; ext2load ide 1:6 0x1200000 /uInitrd ; bootm 0x800000 0x1200000"
setenv LaBackdoor yes
setenv bootcmd "run diskload"
saveenv
reset

And my Lacie starts with debian because I put the /boot parttion on sda6, the /root partition on sda7.

If you want to come back the original value:
on the uboot prompt:
setenv LaBackdoor
saveenv
reset
Those commands remove the variable LaBackdoor in uboot prompt. So the variable bootcmd becomes :
print bootcmd
bootcmd=run disk_disk

Bye.
xuttux

Return to Lacie 5big Network vs2