HDD Replacements

HDD Replacements

Postby wd9895 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:02 pm

dear all,

which 1,5/2 TB harddisc replacements can you recommend ? Which models wrk properly in spin down, low noise and temperature control using FW8.x ?
Is it a must to have a 24/7 mode when it spins down automtically?

Please help an advise. I deperately need a bigger one ;-)
wd9895
Donator Supporter
Donator Supporter

Re: HDD Replacements

Postby fvdw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm

I installed a few weeks ago a WD cavia green 2 TB in the nwsp2 I have
Serie: WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-300 IntelliPower 64MB
Model:Artikelnummer fabrikant: WD20EARS
warranty is 3 years and it is designed to spin down frequently
(price NL paradigt 75 euro's)
It runs at 5400 rpm and that is one of the reason it consume less energy and becomes less hot. Performance is great. on the nwsp2 I reach 30 to 40 MB/s for big files on a gigabit network. Of course on a spd8020 this performance will not be reached because of the slower cpu and smaller ram in that NAS, more likely you will achieve 10 MB/s
It runs smooth and silent and relative cool (the nwsp2 has no fan) disk temp did not exceed 42 oC until now, but that is in a lacie box (no fan). It also spin downs after a period of inactivity, determined by the firmware so that command works for this disk. So far I am happy with it. About noise in general, a HDD tends to be more silent when new and become more noisy when they become older. I notice that on my spd8020 that has an hitachi 1 TB disk inside its much more noisy then 1 year ago and more noisy then the WD green Caviar 2 TB disk in the nwsp2.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby wd9895 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:31 pm

thanks ! that's the drive I'm aiming for .
wd9895
Donator Supporter
Donator Supporter

Postby esel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Dont know how to get the right sda1 and sda2 image out of the update file. How can i get it? Also have the problem when i write image to sda1 computer says not enough free space. Is its normaly that the LED flashes when no operating system was found?
esel

Postby fvdw » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:19 pm

esel wrote:Dont know how to get the right sda1 and sda2 image out of the update file. How can i get it? Also have the problem when i write image to sda1 computer says not enough free space. Is its normaly that the LED flashes when no operating system was found?

Think you should read the guide how to prepare a new hard disk for spd8020 more carefully...
The image to be written to sda1 and sda2 is the same and is included in the package.

What are you trying to do ? prepare a new harddisk ? If so you can not use the firmware update file for preparing a new hard disk you should use the special package to prepare a new HDD (its in the same topic)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby peetn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Dear fvdw,

I just upgraded from 15.3 to 16.1 via this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=20335#p20335

However, I'm considering upgrading the disk. It still contains the original disk and I'm thinking about replacing it using the "New disk package" found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=234

Is that still accurate, since it is some years old. But I couldn't find a newer post.

Are there any limitations/recommendations nowadays for disks? Size/brand/speed/...

Thanks
Peter
peetn
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Philips SPD8020