Location of 16.1 firmware

post here any question or information you want to share on Computers

Location of 16.1 firmware

Postby melkhorn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:46 pm

Hello,

I appreciate the work that has been done on this firmware. It has enabled the somewhat modest SPD8020 to continue to be useful for *years* past its shelf life and is perhaps the only hope for an otherwise useless 2Big Network 2 I've been struggling with.

That having been said, I'm having increasing difficulty navigating the forum.

Where should I have best posted this? I picked SPD8020 just because I have one, not because I really have a specific question about that device. My questions are more general, but I don't see a good place for general comments/questions that I'm allowed to post to.

Where are the files for the the most recent version? I've found the release notes for up to 16.1.3, but I can only find the files for 16.0. Are the 16.1.x series just patches? If so, where are the patches? Would it be possible to have a one-stop shop for downloads rather than having to hunt things down in various fora? Are the patches corresponding with the 16.1.x series the patches attached to posts in the 16.0 bugs topic? If so, that's not clear, and if not, an upgrade/patch path WRT those bug patches is not clear either. Should I apply them all, or just a la carte to my specific needs?

It seems like the download forum is the place to go, but its layout seems a bit scattered and is unclear to me. Perhaps putting how-tos into a forum separate from the actual firmware/patches might help.

In one of the various welcome/general information topics (in and of itself confusing; why more than one?), there is what looks like it might be trying to be a link but isn't ("The download forum" underlined in Board index -> Announcements and general information -> Welcome and general information; first post, penultimate line). Why not make it an actual link?

To recap:

1. Where should I have posted this?

2. Where are the most recent firmware files?

3. What can be done to simplify the forum?

If my google-foo has failed me or this is all obvious and I'm just missing it, I apologize, but I'm genuinely not finding this stuff.

Thanks for the work, and thanks for the information!

Michael
melkhorn
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Location of 16.1 firmware

Postby Jocko » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:21 am

Hi melkhorn,

I'm sorry you have difficulties with the forum map.

melkhorn wrote:1. Where should I have posted this?
I think it was obvious to post in the forum "Computers and General Discussions". I believe that its title is clear and I moved here your topic.
melkhorn wrote:2. Where are the most recent firmware files?
The most recent firmware files is version 16.0 as it is claimed in the announcements part of the forum "ANNOUNCEMENTS AND GENERAL INFORMATION". But you have been misled by the title of the post about the next version 16.1, where it appeared as available. I'm sorry for the confusion. (I changed its title)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby ErminFe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:41 am

Hej,

Sorry, but maybe I'm too stupid to find the latest Firmware Version of the SPD8020. :corner
I'm looking for now about 1,5 hours for a downloadlink, but I couldn't find any... :pound
Could somebody give me a Downloadlink to the Firmeware please? :please
And are they some problems I should know or some things to watch out?

Current I have the firmware: 1.2.9.fw fvdw 5.0 installed.

thx Ermin
ErminFe

Postby Jocko » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:02 am

I am sorry but that seems clear : in forum "Firmware and Howto guides downloads" > topic: fvdw-sl-16-1 release for all devices > post:fvdw-sl-16-1 firmware for philips spd8020 :scratch
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Computers and General Discussions