transfer speed is really low

transfer speed is really low

Postby Gromke » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi dear all of you,

I found some topics about this matter, but they are not really satisfying yet.
It is mentioned it is caused by the low prossessor, but that doesn't really convince me since I had a much better speed with my old firmware. The web interface and the functions of the Lacie-firmware were crap, but the speed was much better.
I can not exactly compare now, but I can say that I backed-up for exanple my music folder of 110 gig from the nas to an usb-disk in les than an our (just by draging the folder from drive to drive). Now I am copying the folder back. First by dragging, this took so long I desided to continue with rsync, In didn't change much so now rsync with ssh. Its copying now for more than 3 ours and it is not even half way.
So there must be a way to speed things up.
Am I missing something?
Gromke

Re: transfer speed is really low

Postby fvdw » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:35 pm

well seems your reading speed is then about 30 MB/s. Thats high for a nwsp1 (think it not correct but 110 GB diveded by 3600 gives this number)
More normal for a nwsp1 is around 11 MB/s on a gibabit lan or when it is fragmented file or smal files it might drop to 7 MB/s
This also the case for the lacie firmware

PS Writing can be significant slower then reading especially when it concerns many small files like mp3's. That is because of file header writing.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Gromke » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks for your reply!

Yea, it makes sense writing is more slow than reading, still I remember copying huge music collections to it, and I'm pretty sure it didn't take this long.
Last night I stoped the transfer, after 5 ours it did 31 gig out of 110. Most of the time is was doing nothing, just hanging in a folder....
Could there be something blocking the transfer?
Gromke

Postby fvdw » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Gromke wrote:Thanks for your reply!

Yea, it makes sense writing is more slow than reading, still I remember copying huge music collections to it, and I'm pretty sure it didn't take this long.
Last night I stoped the transfer, after 5 ours it did 31 gig out of 110. Most of the time is was doing nothing, just hanging in a folder....
Could there be something blocking the transfer?

:dontknow nope not them I am aware off, maybe your network has a problem
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Gromke » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Jammer! still thanks!
Gromke

Postby i-zerocool » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 am

hello,

I testing this new release of alternative firmware v16.1 on my network space 1.
and for me too, copy files on nas is very slow compared with original firmware where the speed copy was ~10MB/s for big files...

Only TwonkyMediaServer, SSH server are enabled as service.

you see in attachment my screenshot with speed copy (~3MB/s, cpu load of nas, and activity graph of my network with the file copy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
i-zerocool

Postby Jocko » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:55 am

Hi

please to test without twonky running (maybe it was scanning your folder when you made these transfers)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1