No access to Philips SPD8020 after firmware update error

No access to Philips SPD8020 after firmware update error

Postby plugout.net_user » Fri May 30, 2014 9:05 am

Hello,

I worked well with firmware 15.1. When I tried to install 15.2, the updating process went wrong and right now I do not have any access to my Philips SPD8020. The IP-address does not even appear in my router. What can I do to get again access to my Philips SPD8020.

Thank you for replying.
plugout.net_user

Re: No access to Philips SPD8020 after firmware update error

Postby fvdw » Fri May 30, 2014 10:26 am

sorry to hear this

what exactly went wrong during the update ?

And what are the leds doing when you power up the spd8020 ?

In worst case you need to take out the disk to correct the error...unfortunate the fvdw-sl console doesn't work with the spd8020 so a remote access via the console is a no go.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby plugout.net_user » Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 am

Hello,

During the firmware install there has been a time out error. At that time I thought the updating process ended and I relaunched the SPD8020, unfortunately with no success. Since that time the blue light is continuously blinking...

Thanks for your help so far
plugout.net_user

Postby fvdw » Fri May 30, 2014 11:04 am

writing firmware on spd8020 can take a long time.
if it is flashing then it means it hangs somewhere in the boot scripts probably because of corrupt files

There is an emergency mechanism build in but if it works for you depends where the script failed.
You can try it as follow start the nas and wait at least 5 minutes, then press and hold the power button for more then 10 seconds.
If the buttons routine is loaded then it will dtect this action and it will initiate the emergency procedure, the power led will start to blink like a heart beat and the routine will assign the network interface the ip address 192.168.1.222

If then also the ssh client is running (which may be the case if the boot script did not fail to early) you may be lucky and connect to it using putty at the ip mentioned. (your router must allow access to ip's in range of 192.168.1.xxx
Besides port 22 you can also try port 12 for the ssh client.
This should work if only the database is corrupt. When you get access in this way then we need to explore where the error is.
Give the command to see were the main boot script failed
Code: Select all
cat boot.log

If this doesn't work then you will need to correct the error on the disk by dismounting the hard disk and use "the install new harddisk procedure". viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1750&p=13448#p13448
You will not need to to do the whole process, you will only need to write the firmware image to partition sda1 and sda2.
Leave partition sda6 untouched as that contains all your data files !
In case the problem is that the nas main database is corrupt then it will also be needed to install the default database in sda5
In this case you won't see your shared folders anymore after the nas boots but they are still there, you will then need to redefine the shares you had. The names to use can be found easily in /share/1000 folder when accessing the spd8020 with ssh client
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Philips SPD8020