Unclear what this firmware is

post here any question or information you want to share on Computers

Unclear what this firmware is

Postby timdj » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:46 pm

First of all I am really glad that someone took it upon them to create ready images for our NAS-es, however this site does not make it clear what I can expect from this firmware. Maybe it might be an idea to create a frontpage which describes the features and possibilities with this firmware.

I for example am wondering if there is some sort of package management included, if this firmware based on something (Debian?) because it would be wonderful if we could use some standard packages. I would love to set up an openvpn server on it or attach different usb devices (security webcam, printer, scanner)

These questions are not answered anywhere and I guess only way for me to find out is by installing it?

I think by making a frontpage for this site a lot more people would be willing to try the firmware and give feedback on it.
timdj

Re: Unclear what this firmware is

Postby fvdw » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for this suggestion Timdj, you could be right that this would be helpful and useful to potential new user or thsoe interested. In the "announcements and general information" part of the forum there is some information that you mention, it also contains screen shots but a somewhat more specification on the features would be helpful for interested people. Indeed a frontpage with this info would be better as now it is somewhat difficult to find this information
This " firmware development" started from a frustration that the standard firmware on an Philips sp8020 was so limited and later it appeared that it could be used also on Lacie devices and in the past two years many features were added also because Jocko joined in the development of the software.
To let others also benefit from the many hours of work done to improve the firmware we made it available to others and have setup this site (with thanks to Julien). In principle this firmware will run on all NAS devices that are based on same ARM processor (architecture) as the Philips and Lacie. The only thing needed is a Linux kernel that supports the mainboard inside and has the right configuration for other features in the firmware. Also information is needed on how the NAS loads the kernel and Linux. Unfortunate it is not (yet) based on debian.
I will look at your suggestion and put some more information on features in the forum or make a portal front page.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Computers and General Discussions