Using Samba Drive 4.9.4 under with windows 10

post here any question or information you want to share on Computers

Re: Using Samba Drive 4.9.4 under with windows 10

Postby Jocko » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:23 pm

So a better behaviour and you really use smb3 on your win10.

After installing the tarball, all is restored and you can browse the shares on the nas ?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby matzi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:28 pm

we have to distinguish:
the rewritten smb.conf at boot problem is on my 5big2

raspi4 does not have this problem

although both run 18-2.

now after processing the tarball on 5big2, smb.conf is not overwritten at boot anymore, the problem is solved. All shares accessible.
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:47 pm

If I understand well, on 5big2 without the new file, you can not access on the file shares but on raspb4 without the new file, you still have access in all case. Both use 18.2 :scratch

But do you have the same share settings on both nas: you have at least a private share and previously you used a login (which will be stored by win10 and reused instead of the guest account) on each nas ?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby matzi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Yes thats all correct. But my 5big2 has an increasing number of problems (sometimes absolutely no access, RTC dying, sometimes changes arenot successfully saved) maybe it has aging problems on hardware side.

So I think let us concentrate on rapsi nas.
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby matzi » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:59 pm

I gave 5big2 another try (I can`t give up).

with gpedit I allowed guest login, then all shares are accessible. Then I logged onto a private share but did not check "keep password in mind". Then i closed the file explorer, used gpedit to not allow guest login anymore. Now the miracle happened: Opening a new file explorer, still all share where accessible. Now if I get this right it means that the very first contact from windows10 over smb3 to the nas requires a guest account, otherwise all share are invisible. Then it needs a logon to a private share. Then the smb guest account in windows can be disabled again because windows remembers the credentials and uses a non guest account for access from now on. Is this correct?

If so it means that the very first access between win10 PC with SMB1 disabled and an fvdw nas with smb3 enabled, needs special procedure.
matzi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi matzi

AFAIK, it is almost right and previous windows versions work like this but now win10 does not like the guest account on all smb protocol versions
matzi wrote:Then I logged onto a private share but did not check "keep password in mind".
"Keep the account in mind is not for the current windows session but when you open a new windows session. After connect to a remote host, windows will try to use it when you attempt to reach another share on the same host even if you closed Explorer as long as this account has the right permissions. If not windows will ask you to use another account. Here is the difference between the 'home' and 'professional' version : with Home you can not enter another account

So with you last test, if you have restarted you windows session the issue would come back if you keep disabled the guest account
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Previous

Return to Computers and General Discussions