For noobs

post here any question or information you want to share on Computers

For noobs

Postby santa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm

I notice today some posts on this forum like "clunc ubuntu i386" in and and in addons "python-2.7.3 add-on" I think, especially with this kind of extra is needed more info with how this extra will give us extra utility for our NAS.

What I'm saying is maybe same scenarios of use for this extra. For example with for "clunc ubuntu i386" after I search over the net I found this, is a replacement for serial (RS232 or RS485) connection to NAS from ubuntu environment trough network cable. Am I right ?
But for "python-2.7.3 add-on" I do not really know in witch scenario it is useful.

Another area witch I need same answers is media servers (I am new on them), for video files (I am not interested on audio file or photo files) is any one do on-the-fly transcoding for video (especially from on hi-def 780p files) or is no hardware for this kind of operation ?
From what I understand and see when I install Mediatomb server all I get is a list with content of my movie folder, what I try to say is there is no difference between browsing after file to press play or select file from list published over network by mediaserver, Am I right ?

Just remember, answer is for a noob(s) :)

DANKE.
santa

Re: For noobs

Postby fvdw » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Santa, giving explanations and guides for everything is not possible, simple because of the limited time we have. We do our best but also our time is limted. Hope you can understand. For many things info can be found on the internet. It takes some effort but for us its the same alsow we have to gather the information ;)

santa wrote:What I'm saying is maybe same scenarios of use for this extra. For example with for "clunc ubuntu i386" after I search over the net I found this, is a replacement for serial (RS232 or RS485) connection to NAS from ubuntu environment trough network cable. Am I right ?

Yes you are right.
But for "python-2.7.3 add-on" I do not really know in witch scenario it is useful.

If you have no idea what the use of this could be then this addon is not for you, its a programming language used by some applications.
Another area witch I need same answers is media servers (I am new on them), for video files (I am not interested on audio file or photo files) is any one do on-the-fly transcoding for video (especially from on hi-def 780p files) or is no hardware for this kind of operation ?

transcoding video is very cpu intensive, our nwsp2 is not capable to do this on the fly, certainly not for HD.
nwsp1 for sure not suitable for this.
From what I understand and see when I install Mediatomb server all I get is a list with content of my movie folder, what I try to say is there is no difference between browsing after file to press play or select file from list published over network by mediaserver, Am I right ?

I don't use mediatomb myself but if I remember correct it works like this
You need to choose "file system" select a directory and then click on "add" (+ buttons) of the indivudual files or folders to add to the database used to server files to clients of mediatomb
More info jus visit mediatomb website
http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation_overview
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby santa » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:16 am

Hi fvdw,
First DANKE for your answer, sorry for my insistency, if you may choose not to answer again on this post it is not problem.

About "python-2.7.3 add-on", I know it is a programming language, I was only curios in what scenario it could be used, with what benefits, I make a program to what ?, same things http related, or same things behind a kind of a server ? or .....? this was my curiosity.

About media server you say
I don't use mediatomb myself
, if you want when find some time share your experience with this 4 media servers with us, pro and cons from your stand of point. I install MediaTomb only after I search over net some thing like this "best media servers on linux" and I find MediaTomb in top on many sites.

About on-the-fly transcoding, am I right ? is no difference (speed, quality or anything else) between browsing over network for a video file on my share directory on NAS and pres play, and a media server started on NAS (configurated correctly) and from my wdtv select a video file from the list published over network by media server from NAS.

Like you see in my post, I use my NAS in conjunction with a WDTV first gen (also with a custom firmware) over wireless connection (at 130 Mbps), and I insist on media servers because I have trouble with same mkv files at 720p.
I know, for all things to be OK is needed a good connection, a not to big encoding bitrate on file it self, and hardware capable to play. All I want is to eliminate a possible culprit or to add something to make it OK.

My NAS is wired at gigabit speed to my wireless router and WDTV is connected on same router over wireless on "n" speed (130 Mbps).

Again, if you choose not to answer is no problem.

DANKE.
santa

Postby Jocko » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 am

Hi santa,

firstly, this addons is useful if you want to run an apply using python language.
Otherwise, you can use it to develop for example an application client-server (which will be more efficiency than a php code) ;)

Good WE
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Santa, no problem to answer your questions :-D

about on-the-fly transcoding, am I right ? is no difference (speed, quality or anything else) between browsing over network for a video file on my share directory on NAS and pres play, and a media server started on NAS (configurated correctly) and from my wdtv select a video file from the list published over network by media server from NAS.

When transcoding always quality is lower, its simple the smaller the bit rate the lower the quality will be, but also in recoding the video itself some information will be lost.
If the media server is set that it doesn't transcode then it will feed the file as it is present on the nas to the client without changing anything.
For HD streams bit rate can then be a problem on wireless networks, transcoding could then be a solution, but it will reduce quality. Also transcoding video is cpu intensive, the cpu in the nwsp2 is running on 800 Mhz and it has only 256 MB of ram. To my opinion not good enough for transcoding, but you can try and see what happens. In transcoding the mediaserver will not change the file on the nas, it will read it and transcode the data before sending it to the client.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Computers and General Discussions