Problem [solved]

Problem [solved]

Postby dafish » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:49 pm

I am running v12 on my Networkspace v1, I wish for minidlna to start on boot however I get Status changing minidlna setting at boot failed
when I try set it, I sem to also get this when I try have transmission starting too :(

Any ideas?
dafish

Re: Problem

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:26 am

did you made any change to permission of the /etc folder in the root file system of the nwsp1 ?

It should world writable (777).

The firmware tries to create a file in the /etc folder when setting minidlna to enable at boot. The error message means that creating of this file failed

Or did you replace the php binaries ? The firmware uses the standard functions if they don't work then also the creation of the file my fail.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby dafish » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:57 am

Nope, I have not changed anything knowingly. I am not very Linux Savy, running windows i'm afraid :P so I have not got any access to change owt.

Only change I have made is apply the fix to bring back the upgrade menu as directed.

Strangely, I set NFS to auto start and this seems to have applied ok.

[ img ]

Tried a cpl more too and they all appear to fail set on boot :fists

Any way I can fix this using Windows?
dafish

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:35 am

The setting of NFS server works differently.

very strange that it won't let you set the mediservers to start at next boot...

What you could do is just install fvdw-sl-12-0 once more. Of course download the latest version from the forum first so you don't have to apply the patch

If you don't want that then the only way is to access the nwsp1 via ssh server using a program like Putty or better winSCP and check what is goin with the permission of the directories. But that will require Linux skills
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby dafish » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:41 am

Reflashing now, will post back.

Ta Robert
dafish

Postby dafish » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 pm

After reflash I get the same problem :cry:

Bugger.
dafish

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 pm

very strange, I double checked the firmware package of the nwsp1 but could not find an error

Then the only way to figure out what is going on is checking the file system using SSH cerver. Do you have the program Putty on your computer ?

ps which browser are you using ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm

when you have accessed the nwsp1 via SSH server with Putty (username: root password: giveit2me) you will get the linux command prompt
Now give following command
Code: Select all
ls -l

This will give a directory listing showing permission of each folder and file in the root folder
You should also see a line like this (this is the /etc directory info)
drwxrwxrwx  12 root   root      4096 2012-04-29 13:33 etc

If it looks like this (drwxrwxrwx) then this is ok and there must be another reason why you can not set the enable at boot for the media servers. If it looks not the same, for instance like (drwxr-xr-x) then it could be the cause of your problem. But it would surpise me as in the firmware it is set correctly. Then something running on your nwsp1 must have changed this setting.

Anyhow if this line looks not like this then execute the following command
chmod 777 /etc

Now check again with ls -l if the output for the etc folder changed to what it should be and if it has changed then try again to enable the mediaserver at boot setting
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby dafish » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Followed your instructions to the letter, all is fixed now :thumbup

drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 2012-04-16 00:04 etc
This is what I was set too, I aint got a clue why it's incorrect tho :( Ah well who cares you fixed it for me :)

Thanks,
Robert
dafish

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1