Disk idle spin up / down

Disk idle spin up / down

Postby muescher » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Hey guys out there,

i have a question regarding the spin down of the disk in my nwsp1.

It's a nice feature that the disk powers down after about 15 min, but shortly thereafter it starts spinning up and i don't know why.
Is there a possibilty to change the time till power down or can i completely deactivate it anywhere?
Or does anybody know a hint how to avoid the behaviour of spinning up?

I'm using my nwsp1 with Windows 7 and have mounted the shares as network drives.

Thanks in advance
Michael
muescher

Re: Disk idle spin up / down

Postby fvdw » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 pm

there can be many reason for spin up, most of the time it are the media servers. But there can be other programs running in the background causing this. The point is that the nwsp1 has a small system memory (16 MB) and therefor it may be necessary to swap programs from memory to disk and vice versa.
The disk spin down daemon is started and set in the boot scripts on a value of 15 minutes. Currently you can not change that time or stop the program. But an attempt to switch of a HDD every 15 minutes is no problem for the disk. In worst case if you run the nwsp1 24h/day and 365 days it year it will be about 32000 spin downs/ups. It will take you more then 20 years reach the max design value. In practice it will not attempt to spin down every 15 minutes.
Changing it to 20 or 30 minutes will not make much difference in behavior. Thats also the reason why disabling or setting this time is not integrated in the web interface
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1