how to configure hte nas for remote access?

how to configure hte nas for remote access?

Postby matpic » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 am

Hi again! ;)
fvfw 11 firmware installed and working.my router is dg834gv5.
how to configure the nas in order to have remote access to it? is it possible? is there a guide to follow?
thank you
matpic

Re: how to configure hte nas for remote access?

Postby Jocko » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 am

Hi matpic,

It depends on what access type you want: you need to forward ports in your router depending on desired access

- Internet access (used only to access to the web interface of the firmware):
I recommend first to activate the web server with SSL connection (Setup menu of the firmware).
You must forward the port : 443 with protocol: TCP,

If you do not enable https access, you must forward port 80 with TCP (but not safe : you send for example your passwords without encrypting).

- SSH access:
I highly recommend changing the default port (22) used by the SSH server and use authentication with an exchange of public keys.
(use the "SSH Access" menu to change these settings and you must read before the help file )

Note : This access is given for a root user and it can do everything

Then, you must forward the port that you defined, for example 222 with protocol: TCP.

- FTP access:
detailed help is already available. You need to forward the ports specified using the FTP menu with the TCP protocol.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby matpic » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:18 am

ssh seems the best.do I have root access to the nas just for installing the fvdw firmware or do I have to obtain it in other ways? and how to do it? thank you
matpic

Postby Jocko » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:45 am

Hi matpic,

I do not quite understand.

A SSH access is useful mainly for a linuxman who wants advanced access to the NAS (maintenance, installation of personal application, or an use of a SSH channel, ...)

If you have installed fvdw sl-release 11.0, you already have SSH access on port 22 with identification by pwd. For local use, it is sufficient but for remote use, you must change the settings as indicated in my previous post.

Since a client PC, you must install in this PC, the application PUTTY (http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=340).

Otherwise, if you want a remote data access, SSH access is not very practical

You must install the FTP server for this type of need. This is the only way currently with version 11.0.

Note: fvdw-sl 12.0 will be released very soon and you can easily access your data from a web browser.

I am not available now for the remaining of the weekend, but if you have additional questions, fvdw can answer you.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby matpic » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:10 pm

thanks to both of you for the help! much appreciated. I'll try the ftp server and wait for 12.0.access from a web browser seems perfect1
matpic

Postby matpic » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Jocko wrote:- FTP access:
detailed help is already available. You need to forward the ports specified using the FTP menu with the TCP protocol.

I can't seem to find the infos about this.can you please post a step to step guide?
thank you
matpic

Postby Jocko » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi matpic,

all menus have a help page : you must click on the pic "?" in the tabs menu. This help page is opened in a new window

So a help page is available with the FTP setup menu.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1