Get stuck during installing new fw

Get stuck during installing new fw

Postby marcoj » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:31 pm

I,m a totall noob concerning linux ubuntu but maneged to get till the point where i must write uimage-26331-6-nswp1 to partiton sda6.What i do i cant get to the right syntax,constantly getting the message wrong directory or file.
I have the files for the fvdw-sl-10-0 on a usbstick but what i have been trying nothing seems to work.
The sentence i use is sudo dd if=/media/664B-4D4C/uimage-26331-6-nwsp1 of=/device/sda6 but no succes,can someone give me some hints please?
Thanks in advance....
marcoj

Re: Get stuck during installing new fw

Postby fvdw » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:10 pm

:disapprove its all there in the manual

if /media/664B-VD4C is the directory where the image is and the disk you are preparing is /dev/sda then you should use
Code: Select all
dd if=/media/664B-4D4C/uImage-26331-6-nwsp1 of=/dev/sda6

notice that in this line "uImage" is used and not "uimage". In Linux file names are case sensitive.

ps be sure that sda is the right disk, typical sda is the system disk in a PC, if you write the data to the wrong disk then..well I gues you know what will happen
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby marcoj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 am

Thank you for your quick reply,i will try it again but just one more question,how is ulmage spelled?uImage or ulmage i cant see the difference and i think that there i'm going the wrong way.BTW i used the manual,is perfect but at that point i get stuck.
marcoj

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 am

uIimage should be used (so the letter behind the the firs u is a capital i) This can be seen clearly in the "code" sentence of my previous post
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby marcoj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 am

Almost there......pfffff,get a hang of it hahaha.trying to unpack the tar-xzvf sda5-lacie-nwsp1.tar.gz but keeps saying command not found.sorry for bothering you on sunday but been busy for three days now to complice this thing.Please help me out
marcoj

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 am

:roll: there must be a space between tar and -xzvf
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby marcoj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 am

Finished it after all.....put the disk back in the lacie but wont boot.not getting an ip address from my router,dhcp actief.Put the disk in my network space2(have two of them,)will try to boot but light on lacie is red/blue so i think somethings else is going on.any idea?
marcoj

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:21 pm

the file package for nwsp1 only work in a networkspace 1. So it has no use to try and use it in a nwsp2.
The nwsp2 needs another Linux kernel to be able to boot.
You must have done something wrong. Many people succeeded, so the package is ok. Think you need to review what you have done and careful study the manual and repeat the steps. Essential are that you write the disk images of the firmware to sdb1, sbd2, sdb7, the kernel to sdb6 and the database that the firmware needs to boot to sdb5 (thats the tar.gz file you need to unpack). Follow exactly the manual for unpacking this file.
In writing the disk images and kernel you can not do much wrong, so I guess the unpacking of sda5 tar bal was not done as it should
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby marcoj » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 pm

ok,that makes sence about the differences between the networkspace 1 or 2.and i have no doubts about the software i used to get the disk ready for use in the lacie,keep up the good work.but what i think that the networkcard in the networkspace1 could be damaged or not working at all,it should get an ip address always inspite of a not working hdd,am i right or wrong?
marcoj

Postby fvdw » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:58 pm

to get the netwerk card working the Linux kernel must be loaded and some drivers during the boot process. If the firmware isn't installed correctly then loading the kernel and boot may fail and then the network card will not work.
Be aware that when the nwsp1 is not in the same workgroup as you pc you won't see it. An ip scan of your LAN might give information if it is really not there. Also the small led's on the LAN connector of the nwsp1 should be on and sometimes blinking. What does the blue led of the nwsp1 do when you try to boot ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1