Hard disk dead. Now what?

Hard disk dead. Now what?

Postby thamiornailo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:04 am

Hi all,
Just registered and noob.
My Lacie Network Space hard disk is gone. No sign of life, even if tested attached to other devices/PC. Luckily my data were saved on mirror disk, but that's not my question.

Now my situation is: no disk in networkspace.
Therefore I was wondering:
1) if the firmware proposed in this forum could be installed in some way to a USB flash drive attached to the USB port.
2) or if the networkspace without internal disk has some way to store minimum of data to support an OS and use it.

Thanks in advance for the eventual answer.
thamiornailo

Re: Hard disk dead. Now what?

Postby fvdw » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:36 am

it can run without a disk, although on a nwsp1 with only 16MB of RM it will be only an OS that can run.
Yes it could run from usb,
but it is useless what would you then want to do it when it has no or very limited storage capacity ?
(if you have an usb disk then better to take out that disk and put it in )
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby thamiornailo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:13 pm

fvdw wrote:it can run without a disk, although on a nwsp1 with only 16MB of RM it will be only an OS that can run.
Yes it could run from usb,
but it is useless what would you then want to do it when it has no or very limited storage capacity ?
(if you have an usb disk then better to take out that disk and put it in )

Thank you for the prompt reply.
The storage capacity I have is on another external (USB) hard disk, connected to the USB port of router (NetgearD6200).
Therefore my plans could be:
A) Install new firmware on nwsp1, use OS to access through router to the external (USB) hard disk. (I don't know if 16 MB will suffice to many functions).
or
B) Install new firmware on nwsp1, and other software on USB flash key attached to the nwsp1.

Unfortunately at the moment I have no other SATA hdd to put in nwsp1. And my laptop is running win7.
Thanks in advance for any further advice
thamiornailo

Postby fvdw » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:41 pm

it principle it could be done but a usb stick would have to be partition in 8 partitions like an normal harddisk. Unfortunate the default bootloader of the nwsp1 doesn't support booting from usb disk directly to make it work you could use an u-boot terminal window. But they will be necessar then every time you boot.
I think it is better to buy a cheap (small) sata harddisk somewhere.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1