debian/lenny

debian/lenny

Postby mennucc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:09 pm

hi people,

I managed to install Debian/lenny in my Lacie Network Space vs1 ,
(alongside the original Lacie O.S.)

I documented all the procedure in
http://mennucc1.debian.net/lacie_network_space/
(I also document how to access the serial console)

I am quite satisfied but I have some things yet TODO, mainly

1) I am still using the old 2.6.12.6-arm1 kernel I would like to use a newer one.

2) Debian/lenny does not shutdown and power off properly, and ignores the power switch.

Since the section 'Firmware and Howto guides downloads' is accessible only to registered users, I did not find it by google, up to now: so now I will look at how you solved all the above.... In any case , any hint is welcomed
mennucc

Re: debian/lenny

Postby Jocko » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Ok mennucc,

Your topic concerns the LACIE original firmware and not the alternative firmware. :mrgreen:

Many trick given in your link can't be used (eg different partition table ..)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Re: debian/lenny

Postby fvdw » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm

debian/lenny is nice but no web interface, so for less excperienced user not easy to use... ;)

You could use our kernel its 2.6.33.1 in your set up I guess, maybe you need to load some modules, there are many available. The shutdown and poweroff is a complicated story for the main board used in the nwsp1 and need special provision in the kernel. In our 2.6.33.1 kernel these are present. A special process is started for this purpose that let you communicate between user space and kernel. Writing information to this process will shutt it down or let it reboot
The 2.6.33.1 kernel for fvdw-sl version 9-0 also makes the RTC work on the nwsp1, however I did not publish yet the kernel patches needed for that. The kernel used in previous versions of the the fvdw-sl firmware for spd8020 and nwsp1 runs fine on the nwsp1 only RTC (hardware clock) is not accessible. As said this is solved with a the latest kernel for the nwsp1 included in version 9-0 of the firmware
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1