NWSP1 / Temp Guard rebooting loop

NWSP1 / Temp Guard rebooting loop

Postby crossbow » Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi there,

First of all; Thank for the hard work you have put in the fvdw-ls 14 firmware.
I believe every nas system you support deserves a second life with this firmware.

I have a question about the temp guard deamon on my lacie nwsp1

I had the tempeture daemon active for a few days with the threshold of 50 and standard without wol shutdown.
(without restarting the lacie)

Upon changing the hostname and ntp ip addresses I rebooted the machine with the System Management/Shutdown-Restart/NAS Restart button.

The lacie did reboot ; but network interface did not up itself.
later I found out that is was continuously rebooting. in the brief moment network and ssh came up one of the last thing
that came on the tty were starting the temp guard deamon and then a reboot of the machine.

I am trying to find out why the
- box the first time did not up itself completely with network after rebooting with a web button.
- on subsequent reboots (after turning on and of the machine while being hotting that 50) rebooted and not shutdowned due to the
active temp guard daemon
- why I after turn the box on /off while being cooled down to below treshhold did stay up again.

are there any logs that I can view?
Might you or anyone else have I idea why a software button reboot first triggered
- a dead brick
- a rebooting brick while being too hot
- a stable lacie nwsp1 while being in the green again.

TIA!

Marcel Ferwerda.
crossbow

Re: NWSP1 / Temp Guard rebooting loop

Postby fvdw » Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 pm

there should be a time interval before it attemps to reboot again when the temp threshold has been exceeded to allow cool down.
If it immediately reboots again after initiating a reboot with the temp guard being active it means it is still too hot.
It has been a while ago that I have written this daemon but and need to look in to details for the moment maybe better not to let it shutdown in wol mode when it exceeds the temp threshold.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby crossbow » Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi there fvdw,

i a understand correctly , the temp quard should shut down the system, and not reboot it. ?
if the box is still to hot according to the threshold, it just should shut down again, until i mannualy turn the box on (of off and on again
with the physical swith i have on the nwsp 1)

for you last comment about the wol mode; i understand the remark, but i don not use the wol funtion on the lacie.

from Jocko:

I just did a test and indeed the wol standby process doesn't run well :
The blue LED stays blinking and the HDD doesn't spin down.(---edit--- after more test, internal HDD is spin down. So there is only an issue with blue LED)
So something to deepen.
About the power button. As nwsp1 have not a push button, the sequence is a bit different :
1/to turn off the NAS NWSP vs1 following this sequence (initially, the switch is to 1):
- Turn the switch on position 0,
- When the LED flashes (1 or 2 seconds), put the switch back to position 1
- Finally, turn the switch in position 0 within 10 seconds.

2/ to make a reboot :
- Turn the switch on position 0,
- When the LED flashes (1 or 2 seconds), put the switch back to position 1

On a stable sytem when temp is cool the nas restart button does not reboot the system it seems.
also having trouble with the swithing on - off when the box is spinning and lightin up after a webbased nas restart.
not always it responds the way jocko explained.

apart from physically rebooting / switching buttons.
still wondering why the box was in a reboot loop while being to hot; you mention a time interval that a box would remain
in shutdown mode and then boot again? of do you meain the time interval that is used withit the spin down function?
i believe when the temp tresh hold hits, i does not use the spin down function (for idling) but either should shut down
or like you state shuwdown and by interval boots again.

; does that mean my time interval was 0 seconds or so?
cannot seem to find the time interval in the webbased UI with the temp guard feature.

another explaination could be the physical state of the button on the lacie 1? because that is then still on "1"
and maybe triggers a reboot like Jocko stated ?

greetings Marcel
crossbow

Postby crossbow » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 pm

little add on,

when the temp quard was activated (deamon running ; the "shut down with wol enabled" was unchecked.
; what then should the standard behaviour do? when hitting the temp.
crossbow

Postby fvdw » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 pm

we will need Jocko to return from a holiday as I don't have a nwsp1 myself.
I looked at the temp guard daemon code and when it is above the temp threshold it initiate a "standby" command, meaning the nwsp1 should go in standby mode and do not a reboot. Seems my memory is getting worse over time :mrgreen:

The standby command used is the same as the shutdown command you can give in shutdown -restart menu of the web interface
So if the standby command works properly you could check by using the webinterface shutdown command and see what happens

Think Jocko can give better info on the settings of the switch on back side of the nwsp1
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby crossbow » Mon May 06, 2013 8:43 pm

second add on,

a webbased "nas shutdown" triggers a reboot that works. (network coming up) (because the box is still on swith 0/1 : 1?

a webbased "nas restart" triggers maybe a reboot but no booting in to unix or stopping somewhere and no network coming up.
the blue light is flickering and 3- fps and wavely pulsating.

think that relevant to the behavour of the shutdown action of the temp quard.
crossbow

Postby crossbow » Mon May 06, 2013 8:48 pm

thank for explaining.

if the nas shutdown command initiated a standby command; it doesnt do that on my mwsp1 :)

ironically that is the only button that triggers a functional reboot.

We will wait for Jocko :)

Looking forward to it..

thanks for quick reply fvdw , looking forward to follow up.
crossbow

Re: fvdw-sl-13-0 release

Postby Jocko » Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi

Sorry but I will be back next friday.

See you later :-(
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 am

Hi two,

I did some tests with my nwsp1 and indeed there is an issue with the standby binary. :scratch

With my first test, I enabled the temp-guard device with the limit 50°C without wol restarting and when the temp limit is reached, I got your rebooting loop up to the temp was lower to the limit. :dry

So I tried to stop the NAS with the web-interface and after stopping, the NAS restarts immediately. :whistle

It's why you got a rebooting loop when the temp is upper to the limit because when the temp-guard device starts, it tries to stop the NAS

Otherwise, no issue with the power button. :?:
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby crossbow » Fri May 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi there Jocko,

Thank for looking into it; especially if there is something to be discovered :)
so the problem is not actually the temp guard ; it the shutdown/standby behavior in the nwsp1
(both share the same code fvdw told me). that is why the shutdown button exibits a clean reboot.

so far so good. there is your collaborated issue with the standby binary.
Will you fix the code in an subsequent firmware release or update?

the second isuues is that (even when tempguard is disabled) the restart buttom
will not do a restart; the box won,t come up again.

can you reproduce that too? or does that behavior also relate to the standby binary?

many thank and I say again, congrats the cool work you have done..

greetings marcel
crossbow

Next

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1