Help with faulty Lacie NS1

Help with faulty Lacie NS1

Postby gowzel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

After a year of lying unused in a cupboard I powered up my NS1 and it worked fine, off to the Lacie webpage and update the firmware. It started, but came up with an error message before it seemed to start updating. The hard drive could be heard speeding up and clicking a couple of times, then it would slow down and speed up again. It wouldnt power down so after an hour I unplugged the power left it for a couple of mins and powered it up again, but still the same.
I pulled the hard drive and connected it to a usb-sata but it still did the same. It was a 1Tb drive.
As I had a 500Gb drive spare, I found this site and with no Linux knowledge managed to install 10.1 on this drive at the second attempt.
It powers up OK, I can reach it from my web browser, I have changed the workgroup to match my network and all seemed mostly fine. However using my windows 7 PC, in file explorer on the left habd side pane under network it used to show my PC, my synology NAS and my printer. It now only shows my PC. If I click on network then in the right hand pane it shows all my network devices and the Lacie shows as a computer. If I disconnect the Lacie from the network by unplugging the RJ45 cable then on the left habd side under network I see my printer the synology my PC and the Lacie.
If I try and switch the Lacie off with the power switch it will not do and I have to unplug the power. I tried the shutdown server swich on the configuration the blue light flashed for a minute or so, but then remained on constant.
Any ideas? I guess I should refrain from upgrading to 14 until I sort these problems.
Thanks,
John
gowzel

Re: Help with faulty Lacie NS1

Postby fvdw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 pm

you must set the the "workgroup"name of the lacie the same as for your other PC's
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby gowzel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did that, it shows in right hand side pane of windows explorer when I click network along with all the other networked devices, ie synology nas, printer etc, and I can access it via a web browser using 192.168 etc and http ://fvdwsl-base/
Apart from set the workgroup name and the time I have not done anything else with it.
Problems seen so far are it not switching off and seeming to mess up the left hand pane of windows explorer under network, as detailed in the first post
Thanks
gowzel

Postby fvdw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm

sorry for not reading your first post properly ;) indeed you mentioned the workgroup setting.

Then i don't know why it messes explorer up in windows 7. I use windows myself and my nwsp's are normally listed under network. However sometimes one are missing mostly if the nwsp2 is started while windows7 was already running. Restarting windows 7 then brings it backs. I must be something with windows 7.
But make a new folder and give it this name "network.{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}" (without the quotes) and open that and you will probably see all network devices including nwsp
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby gowzel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes guess it some silly foible wth win7. What about the failure to switch off, maybe an update to the latest version would fix it?
The folder name you gave me above seems ok, thanks.
gowzel

Postby Jocko » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 pm

gowzel wrote:What about the failure to switch off, maybe an update to the latest version would fix it?
Not really, with our firmware the power button has the behavior described in this post :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1033&p=6163#p6163
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby gowzel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for the help. Updated firmware to 14 and everything working great now except for the power switch. Tried the method above but didn't seem to work, so just wont have to bother switching it off ever. Dont like pulling the power chord out !!!
gowzel

Postby Jocko » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:34 pm

I have also a nwsp1 and the method should also work with your nwsp1. Maybe you didn't wait enough time for the first step
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1