Disk does not boot after power failure

Disk does not boot after power failure

Postby musicscoree96 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:38 pm

After coming back from holliday, my NSP1 does not boot. I think this happend after a power failure.
The blue led is blinking after power up at a constant flashing rate. After a while the led is Always on but the NAS is not accesable nor can I ping the NAS.

Help, what can I do to solve this problem.

:please
musicscoree96

Re: Disk does not boot after power failure

Postby fvdw » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:01 pm

which firmware do you use ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby musicscoree96 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 pm

I use the latest Version ( I think 16.1)
musicscoree96

Postby fvdw » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:42 pm

If you try to ping it, it means that you know the ip address. Did you set a static ip? If not and it has dynamic ip address the nwsp1 may have gotten another ip address by your dhcp server (router). Meaning you use the wrong ip address. Did you try to find the nas using the fvdw-sl assistant?
If the assistant also cannot find it then I am afraid the only option left is taking out the disk and connect it to a pc running linux to investgate what is wrong. Ps.The standalone kernel is no option for this nas because this nas has not enough ram to load such a kernel. It has only 16MB ram (too small).

Remark. The fact that the blue led becomes stable after a while indicates that the firmware is loaded. If loading fails it will keep blinking. Maybe it has only a different ip address or the network interface is defect. Was the power interuption caused by thunders storm? (Lightning ) If so this may have damaged the network interface.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby musicscoree96 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanx for your reply but I think my NAS is dead.
fvdw-sl assistant doesn't find the nas.
I think I will take the 1TB disk out and put it in my main NAS, a Synology.
I realy liked the Lacie Network Space 1. It was my first NAS and with the fvdw firmware it served me for a long time.

Thanx for you help and for this firmware.
musicscoree96

Postby wd9895 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Does the power supply works properly ?
The NASes become older an older and it won't surprise me if some of the power supply units start to fail.
wd9895
Donator Supporter
Donator Supporter

Postby musicscoree96 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:10 am

Yes, the disk spinspup, the led starts blinking (at a constant rate) but there is now network activity. After about 1 minute the led is constant on. So I think the powersupply is oke. I think the OS on the disk is damaged.
musicscoree96

Postby Jocko » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:32 am

Hi musicscoree96

Even if you can not use fvdw-sl console to get a telnet access on your nwsp1 to investigate it (as writing by fvdw) you can try to use the action "u-boot console" to check if the network interface is dead or not..

If you succeed to get it after rebooting the nwsp1 that would mean the network interface is ok and in the other case this one is dead
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby rramalho » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi,

Had 4 of this NSP1, all of them died after a while. If you look at the board you will find the capacitor right beside the sata connector leaked.

All 4 had this problem. Disk would spin up , led was blinking constant. I did however replaced one of them and the NSP1 did work again.
rramalho

Postby Jocko » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi rramalho,

Thank you for this reporting :thumbup

I think I have the same issue on my very old nwsp1. This capacitor appears dammaged on my nwsp1

I have no use to do alive again the nwsp1 except for testing during developments.
Unfortunately I can not read its capacitance (too damaged). So with which capacitor did you replace yours?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs1