avi files disappear on Philips TV

Re: avi files disappear on Philips TV

Postby holger_new » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks for posting the version 47.

After reading this: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/ ... 111/page/2 I originally I wanted to give version 42 a try (I have read about different Linux releases being used for version 40, 42 and 47).

I'm a bit concerned about speed, because I did some tests with the spd8020 some time ago and as far as I remember was able to measure download up to 20Mbyte/s. But I will repeat the measurement. I perfectly agree with you about the buggy Marvell mediaserver and in case the actual speed is <10MByte/s (5Mbyte/s for upload) then there is definetely no reason to stay with original firmware.

B.T.W. is miniDNLA or Firefly from fvdw firmware expected to work fine with the PS3 or do I need to buy the Twonky server?
holger_new

Postby fvdw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:45 pm

I never reached with sp8020 20 MB/s and its not dependent on linux version. Its a matter of cpu speed and RAM. The max speed i reached was 10 to 11 MB/s on spd8020 using gigabit network and large files

holger_new wrote:...

B.T.W. is miniDNLA or Firefly from fvdw firmware expected to work fine with the PS3 or do I need to buy the Twonky server?

I don't know i don't have a PS3, sorry :dontknow

Twonky has a trial period of 30 days. In version 14 we will integrate a version 7.0.9 of twonky that will work out of the box :whistle
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby holger_new » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am

I re-measured the transfer speed and can confirm the ~10MB/s download and <6MB for upload (windows file copy). Philips firmware version 47 solved the DNLA error and didn't change the speed, but the m2ts didn't show up in the Marvel mediaserver. So I followed your recommendation and upgraded to fvdw. I started with version 12.1 (which is a great piece of SW!) and tried all mediaservers. miniDNLA worked fine with the PS3 and the Twonky trial period was expired. With the others servers I found compatibility issues with the PS3, but maybe I didn't configure everything correctly. As your help showed miniDNLA version 1.0.19 and the m2ts file didn't show up after waiting some time I upgraded to firmware version 13. Can you confirm, that this is using 1.0.22 (help still shows 1.0.19)? It took a while to rebuild the database, but finally the m2ts files showed up.

Then I did some transfer speed measurements. The download speed is < 7MB/s, upload still < 6MB/s (windows file copy). With FTP the download speed increased to ~8MB, but still 20% less than with original firmware. Is there any way to free up memory (e.g. by de-installing the unused mediaservers) to get back to 10MB/s?
holger_new

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:44 am

the version of minidlna in fvdw-sl-13-0 is 1.0.22, we forgot to update the help file

the up/download speed is influenced if another application is running. Certainly if a media server is busy with its database.
Try again when it is finsihed or with mediaserver disabled

The samba server used for up and downloading is the same as in the Philips firmware.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby holger_new » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 pm

The database has been finished over night. Disabling the miniDNLA server (all other where already disabled before) had only minor impact on the speed. I also tried with disabled FTP server, but no difference.

Is there a way to de-install mediaservers? Is it save to downgrade to version 12.1 (just to give it a try)?
holger_new

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:37 pm

uninstalling mediaservers will not help. When they are not in use they do not influence performance. Downgrading also will not help, but it should be safe to downgrade from 13-0 to 12-1
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby holger_new » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:24 pm

I have no idea why, but here are my measurements (using Windows 7 PC with Gigibit LAN, large video file):

Rev 13
File copy (Windows): Download: 6.9MB/s, Upload: 5.7MB/s
FTP: Download: 8.7MB/s, Upload: 6.1MB/s

After downgrade to Rev 12.1
File copy (Windows): Download: 9.7MB/s, Upload: 7.1MB/s
FTP: Download: 13.2MB/s, Upload: 7.4MB/s
holger_new

Postby fvdw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 pm

mmm....13-0 has a new kernel and some more features maybe that causes more cpu load although size of the kernel is the same.
Still it seems to me that you have something more running on 13-0 then 12-1.
One of these days I will do a test with my old spd8020 to check it out, I do not have it running anymore.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby holger_new » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:53 pm

On 13.0 I tried to disable anything that had an enable button. Anyhow the resulting difference in speed was neglectable. According to the web IF all servers on 12.1 now have the same settings than 13.0 (installed, but disabled). I'm also happy to say that enabling the miniDNLA server doesn't impact the transfer speed heavily.
holger_new

Previous

Return to Philips SPD8020