8020 doesn't recognize external usb disk

8020 doesn't recognize external usb disk

Postby joe_strummer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi friends, i've two external usb disk (by Packard Bell) and i've tried to connect them to the Spd8020. In both case the Nas doesn't recognize the usb disk.
I've also tried to connect a usb pen drive and another external usb disk (interface by Magnex) and the nas recognize them perfectly.
I've updated the firmware to the last version (8-0). What can i try to resolve the problem?

Thanks
joe_strummer

Re: 8020 doesn't recognize external usb disk

Postby fvdw » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:02 pm

What's the label of the pen drive (the name you gave it) you can see it in explorer under properties

don't use characters like " or ' or spaces in the label of the pen drive that will confuse the scripts of the NAS
Just use plain characters and numbers
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby joe_strummer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 pm

the label of the USB disk that the nas doesn't recongnize is "PACK" (without quotes).
joe_strummer

Postby fvdw » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:26 pm

unfortunate then I don't know why its not recognized. I never had one not being recognized, sorry for this.
Another reason for failure could be a format that is not recognized, typically it will recognize FAT32 and ntfs, the most common windows formats and a bunch of Linux formats like ext2 and ext3.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby joe_strummer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you for your answer, the disk is formatted in NTFS so, i don't think that this is problem. When i connect the usb disk to the nas, it works for about 20 seconds (the light blink) but it isn't recognized. There's an utility to read the internal parameters of the disk? If i'm not worng (i read this in your old forum), there's an internal label of the disk that can't be easily edited by user.
joe_strummer

Postby fvdw » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:04 pm

well it should become visible as a share in windows explorer when you access the nas just like the other shares, the name of the share is the Label, in your case PACK

When you are familiar with Putty or winSCP you could access the NAS via ssh server and see if it is mounted.
It should be mounted automatically (the 20 seconds blinking means it does something, but maybe mount fails)
It should be mounted on the folder /mnt/PACK_1 in the system root file system
When you have accessed the NAS via Putty
Go to the /mnt folder using the cd command
Code: Select all
cd /mnt

and give ls command
ls

This shows content of the folder, if PACK_1 is there then try to enter it
cd /mnt/PACK_1
ls

if you get a directory listing your pendrive is mounted, if not well then it isn't mounted

A command in putty like
fdisk -l

should give info if the disk is seen by the system and if the format is recognized.

The command
mount

will give a list with what is mounted and where

It could be that it is mounted but creating the share fails (that could happen in case a share with that name already exists
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby joe_strummer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:05 pm

many thanks... i try to enter by putty, but using the user name and the password that i use to edit the nas via browser, i receive the message "access denied"... i've leaved the 22 port and the ssh access
joe_strummer

Postby Jocko » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi joe_strummer,

You don't use the right login :roll: :
  • login : "root"
  • pwd : "giveit2me"
(of course without quote)
If you don't change it in the SSH menu, you should be able to connect
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Philips SPD8020