Explorer.exe freeze on laptop

Explorer.exe freeze on laptop

Postby smala » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:34 am

Hi all,
I'm writing here for a problem that's driving me crazy:
I own a Acer Aspire 9410W laptop PC and a custom built desktop PC.
When i access that NAS, through Windows Explorer, Explorer.exe freezes and then, the laptop for a not determinable amount of time :crazy
From my own searches i found that:

1. Explorer.exe/laptop freezes only in presence of EXE files (Programs, executables, auto-unpackers, etc..)
2. the bigger the EXE file, the longer the freeze.
3. if i unplug the wifi dongle (a Dlink DWA-140 with the latest Ralink drivers), Laptop turns OK (unfreezes)
4. Freeze happens with all possible connections: Wired LAN, the DWA-140 and with the built-in Intel 3945ABG
5. if i start up the Laptop in "Safe Mode with network" the problem does not happen.
6. the HDD led of the NAS, when the Laptop freezes, blinks continuously like crazy

On the other side, the Desktop PC has nothing of these problems, works like expected.
I'm using your latest Firmware, FDDW 12.0 and the laptop seems clean of viruses.

Can you help me?

PS: eventually, forgive my English. :hammerhead
smala

Re: Explorer.exe freeze on laptop

Postby Jocko » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi smala,

Difficult to know what your problem is but I think you should look towards your antivirus (or may be your firewall):
Explorer.exe/laptop freezes only in presence of EXE files (Programs, executables, auto-unpackers, etc..)
2. the bigger the EXE file, the longer the freeze. (antivirus scan ?)
if i start up the Laptop in "Safe Mode with network" the problem does not happen. (check what program are not running in this mode and don't start them at booting in the normal mode. Starts them manually the one by one to find the one which causes the trouble. Then looks its settings (eg with antivirus, option scan all code of exe files before executing, same thing with zip files,... )
On the other side, the Desktop PC has nothing of these problems, works like expected.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

in addition to what Jocko mentioned.
The samba server on the sp8020 can not cause this kind of problems, it must be something in the operating system and settings of your laptop
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby smala » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:48 am

Thank you for the quick reply ;)

I forgot to say that I'm using Avast Free AV and i've disabled realtime scan for the NAS' s mapped drive (Z:)
before posting, i disabled Windows Defender because it scans EXE files, with no luck

I'll try to disable one component at time, in order to detect the problematic one.
My firewall is the Windows' built in and i've granted access for both "networks" (Home and Public)
smala

Postby smala » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 am

I think i've solved the problem.
That issue was created by the "behavior shield" of Avast that scans files even on LAN storage devices.
Excluding "Explorer.exe" from scanning (making it "secure")
Problem is solved but i think it opens a big hole in my security.

Thanks Anyway!
smala

Postby fvdw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 pm

maybe you can set Avast not to scan devices in the LAN I use Avast (free version) and have no issue
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Philips SPD8020