Problem upgrading to v17

Problem upgrading to v17

Postby peetn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:42 am

Hello,

I installed patch "fvdw-sl-16.1-upgrade-patch-30may2017.zip" successfully.
Then I rebooted.
Then I tried autoupgrade to V17 but I got an error in step 2. See attachment "1. Problem autoupdate.png"
Then I tried the manual upgrade to V17 but I got another error in step 2. See attachment "2. Problem manual update.png"

FYI: I took a screenshot of the current firmware status screen. See attachment "Status.png".

Do you have any idea what is wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peetn
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Problem upgrading to v17

Postby fvdw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm

The manual upgrade issue
This looks like a problem with the disk, if dd fails it could be if it cannot write to the disk , probably because a bad sector. Does the problem repeat itself if you try again to do a manual upgrade ?

The upgrade via web server issue.
This could be caused by a corrupt uploaded upgrade file. There are several reason that can cause that such as a problem during download (not so likely) or also a disk problem. Taking the manual upgrade problem into account this looks more likely.
What does a test with smart disk tells you about condition of your hard disk ?

Are able to connect to your spd8020 using ssh server, via a client like putty ?
If so connect to ssh server and give this command to check sda2
Code: Select all
e2fsck -n /dev/sda2

This command will not repair the file system only indicate if there is a problem
Report the result here
To perform a repair of sda2 if fault are found you could use
e2fsck -p /dev/sda2

But before doing that a advise to post the result of the first command and discuss before continuing with the second command.

For upgrade via webserver sda5 is used however that partition contains also the database of the firmware. We should be careful with it. If we damage the database the nas won't boot anymore and you will need to take out the disk to repair it.
So leave for the moment sda5 only. Lets try to get the manual update working first
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby peetn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello,

Thank you for responding.

Yes I can reproduce both issues if I try them again.
- I first tried auto update
- then manual
- then auto again
- then manual again

Just to be clear, when I say it fails in "step 2".
It is not 'step 2' within 'step 1' but really step 2.

But I think your disk assumption is correct.

I just ran the check you asked for (and not yet the 'fix' command as you recommended).
I piped the output to a txt file, see attachment.
However, the console also returned this:

...(there was more above)
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_test_block_bitmap #184549365 for multiply                                                                                                                                                              claimed block map
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_test_block_bitmap #3851694084 for multiply                                                                                                                                                              claimed block map
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_test_block_bitmap #3851616260 for multiply                                                                                                                                                              claimed block map
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_test_block_bitmap #3959397048 for multiply                                                                                                                                                              claimed block map
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_test_block_bitmap #3785359365 for multiply                                                                                                                                                              claimed block map
e2fsck: aborted
root@SPD8020-7EA8B0:/ #

Around new year I replaced the original 500 GB disk using the manual on this site because it became too small.
This was the replacement disk: Western Digital Elements WDBAAU0020HBK-EESN 2TB externe Festplatte (8,9 cm (3,5 Zoll), USB).
Everything succeeded fine, no issues since then.
Maybe it is related?
Did I forget to do something while installing the disk?

Thank you and good evening,
peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peetn
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:26 pm

wow, not good.
Repairing this file system has no use as we overwrite during upgrade. The fact that dd command fails is probably bad blocks and repairing current file system will not help for that. Suggest you try this command
e2fsck -c /dev/sda2

That should mark bad blocks so they are not used when writing to the disk.
After that you could try again a manual update and see if sda2 is ok again.

However if the number of bad blocks is high then this disk may be close to failure.

PS. Further it would be good to do same e2fsck check on sda1, sda5 and sda6 (e2fsck -n) condition

ps in the web interface you can run SMART disk to do a disk test and get info if it is healthy
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Philips SPD8020