Resetting a SPD8020

Resetting a SPD8020

Postby audiododd » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 am

I have an SPD8020 that I installed the fvdw firmware on several years ago (4.2). I packed up the drive when I moved back to the states and after 2 years I found it and tried to get it going. I cannot get to the web interface. I have the IP address, but none of my usual name/pw combinations allow me access. I tried the original firmware reset of plugging it in while holding the reset button for 5 seconds, but that didn't seem to work. Is there a different way to reset the unit to factory settings?

Alternately, I can still SSH into the unit with the default name/pw. Is there any way to somehow get the web interface working from the terminal?

Thanks,

Dodd Martin
audiododd

Re: Resetting a SPD8020

Postby fvdw » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Dodd

this is very strange, apparently the web server is running, other wise you could would get the log in window.
Be aware that username and password are case sensitives. For the webinterface username is always "admin" (without quotes) and the default pasword is the same but you might have changed that. If you forgot the password then the only way to restore is suing ssh access and editing the nas database. In fact the factory reset should restore a default database.
This evening I will post a default database for you that you can install using Putty (SSH client)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:17 pm

attached a default database for the spd8020.

To install it.
I assume you still can see the public share on your windows pc, unpack the archive and put the file with name "nas_conf_db.xml" in this public share.
Now acces the spd8020 via SSH using putty (usrname: root, passwd: giveit2me)
copy the database to the correct location and set read/write rights
Code: Select all
cp /share/1000/public/nas_conf_db.xml /rw_fs/etc/
chmod 777 /rw_fs/etc/nas_conf_db.xml

After that reboot

Code: Select all
sync
reboot

or use the reset button on the front panel (better)

If everything was done correctly it should come up using the default databse with
username: admin
and password: admin
for the webinterface

if you made a mistake then it might not boot at all. Then the only solution left is dismount the HDD and do a new install.

Please note that it always a little tricky to install it on a running system. I do not guarantee that it will work as I can not check what you do or prevent that you make a mistake in the process. Whatever happens there is still a way to bring it back to live again and that is following the new HDD procedure.
Things that might happen. The Samba server might get confused as the samba configuration contains items not present in the database, therefor do not use the webinterface when you have installed the default database before having performed a reboot. If it boots ok everything should be ok but all the settings you made in the past will be lost (its a default database) you will only see one share with name public and one user dummy. The data that you stored in other shares that you made in the past will still be on your spd8020 but you won't see them in the web interface or samba server (explorer) You will need to recreate the shares using the web interface.
Using a program like putty and look to the content of the folder /share/1000 should give you a list of shares still present, you only have to create them in the webinterface using the same name 9without /share/1000 infront) to make them visible in the webinterface and samba and ftp server

success

spd8020-default-nas_conf_db.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby audiododd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks! Got it working. Now I can update my firmware.

But wait...no I can't! When I try to extract the firmware I get the following message:

Dodds-MacBook:Downloads audiododd$ unzip fvdw-sl-10-1-phn-19nov2011-51lower.zip -d fvdw_firmware
Archive: fvdw-sl-10-1-phn-19nov2011-51lower.zip
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of fvdw-sl-10-1-phn-19nov2011-51lower.zip or
fvdw-sl-10-1-phn-19nov2011-51lower.zip.zip, and cannot find fvdw-sl-10-1-phn-19nov2011-51lower.zip.ZIP, period.
Dodds-MacBook:Downloads audiododd$

I even tried from Windows, but with no luck there either. Has anybody else had problems with the 5.1lower file?? I'm upgrading from 4.2 (like I said, the unit has been packed in a box for the past 2 years).

Thanks,

Dodd
audiododd

Postby fvdw » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:53 am

Glad to hear that you got access :D
You didn't download the default database so to see, just out of curiosity how did you get into the webinterface ?

About the zip file
I just downloaded the file from plugout forum to my Pc and extracted it (in windows 7) and it extracted it without a problem. So the file is ok.

I am not a MAC user but think you have used a wrong option (-d)
Apparently you need to instal an utility on the MAC to extract zip files. If it is installed double clicing on it will open a windows etc.

In windows just double clicking on it will open it and you can drag and drop the file to any position/other folder

ps the fact that the spd8020 has got a rest for two years doesn't affect unzipping the archive ;)

zip1.JPG

zip2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby CYu » Wed May 02, 2012 1:30 pm

After having tried all my passwords + variations without success I choose another approach:
a) login via putty
b) locate the etc directory
c) edit the config xml directly: in the sample fvdw attached you can easily read the encrypted default value of the admin password
d) reboot and login with admin, admin

Thx for the encrypted version of the password

Christian
CYu

Postby nightfly2000 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Hey

After I have installed the 13.0fw I can´t login into the webinterface...
I have tried your solution, but it doesent´t work!?

The only thing that happend after I installed the basic config, was that my static Ip was gone, and dhcp was enabled again!

What else can I try !?

greets form Austria
nightfly2000

Postby Jocko » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Huumm

I think you didn't read this :
Important remarks:

- in fvdw-sl 13-0 the administrator name for the NAS web interface is changed from admin to admin-nas !

So you must use as login : admin-nas
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby nightfly2000 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks a lot!!!

That was ist!!!!!!!!!!
nightfly2000

Postby ercev » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 pm

hello everyone. i have philips nas spd8020 and i forgot my password. i tried what fvdw says on his/her answer in this section but i couldnt make it.is there any way to change password over putty or winscp?
ercev

Next

Return to Philips SPD8020