Saying Thanx, Wishes and HolyMoly

Re: Saying Thanx, Wishes and HolyMoly

Postby fvdw » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:21 pm

thanks Aladin2000 for your feedback and suggestions

ad 1. ultra fast booting, firefly server only could be done but normally booting is only done once per so many months. There is no need reboot normally unless you want to save some power. Booting does indeed takes longer then the original firmware, especially when the ftp server is activated at boot. On some points it could be improved, for instance a waiting time of 10 seconds is build in to give a connected usb disk the opportunity to be mounted. When there is no usb disk attached then this waiting time could be skipped. But as said booting time is to my opinion not a real issue.

ad 2. I like the blues brothers gif, it only takes a little memory. Can imagine that "customers" like a PRO look but remember that we do this work in our free time as a hobby, if we would have paying customers well then it can be different.
The fact that the firmware has grown in size is because much features are added, I know most users don't use all of them but some want this feature and others want another feature. Sorry for this but there is little that can be done on it. 45 MB isn't much if you compare it with the space a windows operating system needs with the options we have on this NAS.
Also here it is to my opinion not an issue we have plenty of space on the hard disks.

ad 3. pressing (and holding) a button must be longer then 1 sec to have effect. This is done by purpose to prevent that the thing switches of when you by accident touch the button. Press and hold it for at least a second and it will work. Read the release notes for fvdw6-0. Never tried it on a device without a HDD.

Philips media server in 1.2.9.47. That was the marvell media server, its still included as it was in that firmware in the latest fvdw-sl-8-0 but it is not very reliable and very limited in possibilities to set it up. Philips never took it back they just stopped supporting this device and removed the download from their site. I still must have a copy somewhere.
It is a pity that Philips put on such poor firmware because it is a nice little box that can do much more with somewhat enhanced firmware. Look at the features you have now, I think the product would have sold much better when a firmware like the current would have been included. But Philips clearly underestimated the user group of this kind of devices.

We appreciate your inputs and see what we can do with them for future releases.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby satsatt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

I just updated my SPD8020 from 4.2 to 8.0 - it worked without any hassle.
I put an 1Gb HDD already in 2009 in and used it nonstop for Video storage. Now it is so sophisticated that i will stream my files inside my homenet to samsung tv and LaCieHDpro. Maybe i will try a 2TB HDD soon because the space is always to small ;-) right now a USB HDD has to be sufficent.

ok if i am allowed to mention some wishes ...

- i think the torrent downloaders are only usefull if working together with some sort of ip-filtering ( PeerBlock )
- i have a Logitech Squeezebox Boom network music player and it is only working with a sqeezeserver online all the time - this would be a nice feature.

quote from wikipedia: "The Squeezebox Server software is written in Perl, and will run on Linux, Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, BSD platforms.

Squeezebox Server itself can run on a number of NAS devices, such as QNAP Turbo NAS, Synology Disk Station, NETGEAR ReadyNAS, Buffalo Linkstation, Linksys NSLU2, THECUS N5200 & N7700, Xtreamer eTRAYz and any device running FreeNAS software. Squeezebox Server also comes pre-installed on the VortexBox Linux distribution and VortexBox appliance. This generally results in lower energy consumption than running Squeezebox Server on a personal computer, whilst offering the same feature set (albeit with a slightly less responsive web interface under certain circumstances). Some NAS devices may require more effort than others to get Squeezebox Server running, though. Logitech only supports the Netgear ReadyNAS NAS devices"

But last and not least big THANX to all your efforts to make this piece of hardware a valuable device.
satsatt

Postby fvdw » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:49 pm

thks satsatt for feedback and the nice words, that keeps us motivated

we will look at sqeezebox server.
For torrent clients, think transmission has some additional set ups possibilities concerning max up and download speeds and max number of peers to connect. I mainly use the for downloading as uploading takes recourses although if set to 10 kB/s its not too much. But it remains a NAS with small system memory so not everything can be used at the same time.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby gunuss » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:26 am

Hi all,
I just install your great FW on my LACIE ns2
all seems work well !! Tks!!!!!!!
As satsatt Ihave logitech squeezebox and I wonder to run squeezebox server on my (renewed) LACIE.
You, fvdw, said "we will look at sqeezebox server".
Did you progress on this?
When we can installin logitech squeezebox on you FW?
tks and tks

god bless you!
gunuss

Postby gunuss » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am

Hi all,
any news concerning the install of logitech squeezebox on my (renewed) LACIE
Tks
gunuss

Postby fvdw » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 am

sorry to keep you waiting gunuss, but I did not find time yet to look at that one
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby gunuss » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Tks fvdw.
no problem at all.
we wait (but do not forget us !!!)

Tks a lot for your firmware.
gunuss

Postby gunuss » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:11 pm

hi fvdw,
any news concerning the squeezebox server on your wonderful fw.
tks a lot
gunuss

Postby fvdw » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:20 pm

no not yet gunuss, we are busy with bug fix for version 10-0 and support for the nwsp lite version. But I did not forget it ;)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Philips SPD8020