Stream video from SPD8020 to Philips devices

Re: Stream video from SPD8020 to Philips devices

Postby fvdw » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:13 pm

:shock: wow an impressive setup, pity that those TV's don't have a direct connection to the LAN

A led beaner..interesting but still beamers and for sure a led one the light output to watch a movie in full daylight, at least i didn't see one until today. But of course they are getting better over time. I agree that we must have some patience
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi FvdW, in fact the setup is not really impressive from a cost perspective. If you add the cost for a BDP (prox 120 euro), to a high class LED or LCD TV without the extra's, I think you will see quite a difference. The LED HD beamer is a different ball game. A 2000 ANSI Lumen LED HD beamer is 1200 euro (BenQ) and up (watch the contrast ratios...amazing). And they can meet daylight conditions in Full HD, in a screen size (diagonal) uptill 3 meters (at 3 meter distance). Btw, I saw one at my sister, and as a "Display" guy, I was quite impressed.
Personally I believe a TV should only have Display (and only the best is good enough), looking currently at all brands of TV's, I noticed audio is "crappy", and negatively interfering the video/image quality and vice a versa. So I do not miss the LAN connection on TV, when connecting with a high class BDP. And for your info: my living room TV is still a Philips Cineos CRT (HD Ready) on an analogue RGB signal...the best Philips has ever made.
Perhaps you can work on the BDP firmware for the LAN connection area?
Hedwig

Postby fvdw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:04 am

Hedwig wrote:...
Perhaps you can work on the BDP firmware for the LAN connection area?

:lol: I am still waiting for a paycheck from Philips for the work done to make the sp8020 an acceptable product, maybe you can bring it up in the mgt team (please)
But I like the suggestion although cracking that firmware will be more difficult (I guess) and it will probably in flash, which means if you make a mistake the way back is difficult. On the spd8020 the only thing to do in such case is take out the HDD en correct the error using a PC running Linux
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:18 pm

I have sent you a pm (when does it go from outbox to send messages? It remains in outbox)
Hedwig

Postby fvdw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:56 pm

I have found it

(message remains in the outbox until they have been read by the addressee)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby gprofet1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Hello FvdW,

I have the Philips NAS a few years already and spend a long time searching how to stream music on my NAS directly to DLNA compliant devices. Your firmware update incl. the addition of MiniDLNA mediaserver did the trick.
The firmware update, though slowly, went flawless.

I am now using Window Media Player 12 to stream from the NAS to my Sony Bluray and use an app called "Skifta" to stream from iPhone AND Android.

Thank you very much for this update.
(and hopefully Philips will come around and still acknowledge all the work you've done)
gprofet1

Postby fvdw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:39 pm

thanks for the compliment, much appreciated :thumbup

unfortunate until today Philips did not contacted me to make their device more valuable and a real product :dry
But maybe it will come, think also lacie own's me something :whistle
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby wd9895 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 pm

I can tell you that this department closed 2 years ago.
wd9895
Donator Supporter
Donator Supporter

Postby fvdw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 pm

wd9895 wrote:I can tell you that this department closed 2 years ago.

but Philips is still there :mrgreen: so what taking them so long to give some reward and recognition ;)

ps did you read the post about the "Duranas" that seems to have spd8020 hardware inside, is Philips aware of that ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby wd9895 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:18 am

That's a wrong assuption. This company is a collection of various departments and exactly this HDD was closed a few years ago.

The hardware inside is not from Philips but an OEM product. Nothing was manufactored in a Philips factory. The vendor produced according to a hard- and software specification. Not more. This is a concept which is widely used in the CE world.
wd9895
Donator Supporter
Donator Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Philips SPD8020