How to install?

How to install?

Postby emiel1900 » Sun May 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Hello people,

Maybe its a really dumb question... but:
I have just bought my Philips SPD8020 NAS and i want to install the custom firmware on it, But how do i do this? In the web interface it says I need a .bin file. And you can only download for first time install three .rar's. How do i turn this into a .bin file? Or it doesn't has to be a .bin file?

With kind regards, Emiel.
PS: sorry for my bad English...
emiel1900

Re: How to install?

Postby fvdw » Sun May 25, 2014 4:00 pm

you need to unpack (unrar) the rar achive to get the bin file. You need to unpack only 1 it will automatically unpack all three.
If you don't have winrar use a program like 7zip ti unpack it
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby emiel1900 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:12 pm

Now i have another problem,

when i choose the file (the sda-spd8020-mbr.bin), and i click on 'update firmware', i get redirected and it gives the error:

File Uploaded.
Error!

Does anybody know what the problem is?

With kind regards, Emiel.
emiel1900

Postby fvdw » Sun May 25, 2014 5:55 pm

you should use the firmware update file not the first time install file....

The file you mention is part of the first time install package , or in case of spd8020, the new HDD package

Here you can find the firmware upgrade package viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1800#p14328
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby FransM » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:51 pm

fvdw wrote:you should use the firmware update file not the first time install file....

The file you mention is part of the first time install package , or in case of spd8020, the new HDD package

Here you can find the firmware upgrade package http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1800#p14328

fvdw, probably the term "first install" is misleading.
I upgraded my stock SPD8020 yesterday, and since this was my first use of your firmware, I also tried the first install rar first.
Turned out I could just upload the 15.3 image.

Also remembered why it wasn't used for quite a long time. Too slow due to Philips saving a dime or so on the memory.

Frans
FransM

Postby fvdw » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:10 pm

thx for uour feedback but if you would have read the topic viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1867#p14926

you would have found this (seems people easily skip that part...or forget) ;)
How to upgrade:

Download the zip file attached for your device extract it in a directory of your choice, it contains one file with extension ".bin" this is the firmware file you need to use.

You can determine which file is for your device by looking to this code in the name of the file.
nwsp2 = lacie networkspace 2 (Lite and Classic version)
nwspmax = lacie networkspace max
2big2 = lacie 2big network_v2 (kirkwood)
5big5 = lacie 5big network_v2 (kirkwood)
cloudbox = lacie cloudbox (family box white casing) (will be released soon)
nwsp1 = lacie network space 1
isp1 = Lacie internetspace 1 (and edmini_v2)
phn = Philips spd8020
5big1 = Lacie 5big_v1 (orion)
2big1 = Lacie 2big_v1 (orion)

To install the firmware upgrade file use the firmware upgrade menu in the fvdw-sl web interface. (Lacie devices have a different menu the Philips spd8020, in latest version you will only see the upgrade menu suitable for your device)

Follow the instructions in this menu to install the upgrade

Be patient writing the image will take some time, the menu will let you know when finished or when it failed.
Do not perform a reboot while the firmware is being written. Wait until the menu tells you to initiate a reboot and use the button in the upgrade menu to initiate this reboot. After initiating the reboot close your browser to clear the caches. Wait until the reboot is ready and then open your browser again. If you don't do this the browser will use parts of the old web interface that it has in cache.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Philips SPD8020