Can't connect to spd8020 at all

Re: Can't connect to spd8020 at all

Postby p.v.solar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 am

I followed all instructions but the result is: error!
I repeated the procedure three times. The first time the result was something with ...file tyransfer error, the last two times just error!.
I did put the file on a partition in my computer where I save all kinds of programs. Surprisingly the name in the window of the update screen everytime became: "C:/Users/name/AppDa" more is not to see. Trying to move the text to see the rest results in the popup of the explorer and the real location could be seen: C:/Users/name/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/IE5....This location indeed showed the .bin file but with (1) at the end. When opening the explorer directly gives no "IE5.." The file is in in Teporary Internet Files with "temp:"in front but no (1) addition. Filesize unzipped is 59.904 kb. The file is named as VLC media file. I use Windows 7.
After starting the upgrade, it takes about 10 minutes during which firefox say: trying to connect to [the IP number]. No other reactions visible. What goes wrong?
p.v.solar

Postby fvdw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Probably you are dong nothing wrong. I suspected that your disk is suffering from bad sectors. The fact that you had some files damaged in the running firmware are also an indication of this.
I assume the spd8020 is still working now with the Philips software. meaning the installation of the new firmware is aborted.
The sequence is as follow, first the file is uploaded to the spd8020 then it is extracted, then it is written to a partition on the disk, after that the spd8020 peforms a read check of that partition. if it that fails the process is aborted as it means that there is a risk that the new firmware will not boot as there is a read error on the disk. That it takes 10 minutes is normal. Typical times are 1 minute for uploading the file and 7 minutes for writing and checking. Reboot can take 2 to 3 minutes.
What to do ? Depends how good your Linux skills are and willingness to try to solve it.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby p.v.solar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am

Thank you for the extensive explication. As I said before my Linux skills are nil. I have worked in the neighborhood of software people so I do recognize some expressions and names but I am not familiar with all the commands and syntax rules. The hardware is not a problem. So if you think it could be done with your detailed instructions we could give it a try but maybe the communication becomes too often when I have to ask after each response. Maybe I can find someone who understand linux and can better understand your instructions. The main reason to enter the control page was to setup the upnp and get the audio and video from the network to my ipad. It doesn't work yet so I have to find out what settings I have to make. When it works I might keep the disk as it is, as long as it is functional. What do you think is wise now? Anyhow thank for all the time you spent.
p.v.solar

Postby fvdw » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 pm

If you are happy with the limited functionality of the philips software you could keep it, I can can not decide that for you.
I think you won't be able to stream to an ipad as apple has its own protocols. In the fvdw-sl firmware we have an Itunes server that will allow streaming music to an Itunes client (for instance an iPad) but video is another story.

When the installtion fails then the spd8020 may no longer boot and then the only wait out is take the hard disk out and connect it to a pc running Linux to elinate the error. Not to complicated there is a detailed guide for that.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby p.v.solar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 am

I'll first dive into the linux operation and install linux on my computer to make sure to repair in case something goes wrong. Taking the NAS apart and connecting it to the computer hardware part is no big deal. I asume before installing fvdw-sl firmware the 14-0 version has to be installed.
I will be out for some days so it may take some time.
p.v.solar

Previous

Return to Philips SPD8020