LaCie 5Big NAS PRO Boot issue with blank screen

Re: LaCie 5Big NAS PRO Boot issue with blank screen

Postby esomo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 am

Hi, I apologize for my English, I use Google translator. Did you manage to solve the problem with the device? I have exactly the same device with exactly the same problem. I managed to boot the device after flashing the BIOS, but unfortunately I had a backup of the BIOS into which it was not possible to go into and off from the USB devices, and I made these settings myself and set the password for entering the BIOS myself, I even remember it, but at some point, something went wrong and I managed to make a backup only in this state, but after flashing the device boots up if I insert disks from the NAS OS or even Linux or Windows. I can tell you how to boot the device using the JSPI1 connector without soldering, and if I use an undamaged original BIOS, I can completely restore the device, but unfortunately I can not find the original BIOS anywhere. I also have an image of a working NAS OS for loading all disk partitions. if someone has a fully working device, I can tell you how to backup BIOS using only software, without disassembling the device, but unfortunately I can’t find such a device, so if someone responds, then this is not difficult to do
esomo

Postby Miheddine » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Actually i'm still facing the problem and still have the defected LaCie. thanks and yes we should wait until someone has the same bios version or the same product. thanks again bro.
Miheddine

Postby fvdw » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 pm

This is not a bios corruption problem.
I have a seagate 4 pro. This has almost same motherboard as the lacie 5big pro. The bios they use doesn't let you boot from usb if there is no harddisk in the system that is bootable using legacy bios boot partition. I can boot on that device our linux system and fvdw-sl firmware using the original bios on is this

@esomo
The bios you have put in flash, which methods it support for boot ? Conventional bios boot and uefi? And from which devices can it boot? (Harddisk and/or usb?)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby esomo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 pm

The BIOS file that I have is the original BIOS from Lacie 5big Pro, but I made a backup only after the device started not every time, Miheddine probably also had this, if the screen is black, then the device does not load if the American Megatrends logo appears, then the device will boot. I changed the BIOS settings and disabled loading from USB devices and now with my BIOS the device boots only from the HDD, but after flashing the BIOS starts fine, the device also loads fine if you use the BIOS connected to the JSPI1, but only with the HDD, any pre-installed on HDD the operating system NAS OS, Linux, even Windows
esomo

Postby esomo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:16 pm

if this does not contradict the rules of the forum, then I can write detailed instructions on how to start the device using connector JSPI1, but I need a copy of BIOS from a fully working device, if there is someone with such a device on the forum, then I can write instructions on how to backup BIOS without disassembling the device, this would completely solve the problem! if someone could contact the support of the Lacie and get BIOS, then this will also solve the problem, but in my country there is no support Lacie. I apologize again for my English, I use a Google translator.
esomo

Postby fvdw » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm

esomo wrote:if this does not contradict the rules of the forum, then I can write detailed instructions on how to start the device using connector JSPI1, but I need a copy of BIOS from a fully working device, if there is someone with such a device on the forum, then I can write instructions on how to backup BIOS without disassembling the device, this would completely solve the problem! if someone could contact the support of the Lacie and get BIOS, then this will also solve the problem, but in my country there is no support Lacie. I apologize again for my English, I use a Google translator.

No problem to publish this info on this forum
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby esomo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 pm

Hello! All that I will describe here I did and it definitely works! In my case, with exactly the same symptoms, the reason was in BIOS. There is a JSPI1 connector on the device’s motherboard, BIOS cannot be flashed through it, but you can connect a chip with a working BIOS, the device will boot from this chip, disconnect the chip and use a program such as flashrom to flash BIOS, after that I completely restored the device’s functionality.
A temporary working BIOS needs to be connected to the JSPI1 connector as follows: the first leg of the chip with 5 JSPI1 legs, 2 with the chip foot with 3 JSPI1, 3 chip legs is not used, 4 chip foot with 7 JSPI1 legs, 5 chip foot with 4 JSPI1 legs, 6 legs with 6, 7 leg of the chip with 9 leg of JSPI1, 8 leg of the chip with 2 leg of JSPI1(https://www.flashrom.org/MSI_JSPI1).
In the device, the bios is recorded on Winbond W25Q32(W25Q32BVSSIG or W25Q32FVSSIG), but you can use another 4mb (I downloaded from Amtel).
To program the temporary BIOS chip, I used the ch341a programmer, and the chip itself was soldered to the adapter. In this form, and connected to JSPI1, using another home-made adapter, the device is loaded from a temporary BIOS. Some sources say that the wires should be short, everything worked for me with 25cm wires.
For flashing BIOS, you can install Ubuntu Server and install flashrom program on it, or you can use the NAS OS,
install the NAS OS Empty App application(https://github.com/Djailla/nas-os-empty/releases/download/nas-os-empty-1.0.0/com.djailla.empty-1.0.0-x86_64.rbw),
connect to the device via SSH,
enter in to the application( # sudo rainbow --enter com.djailla.empty ),
add repositories( # echo 'deb http://archive.debian.org/debian wheezy main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list && echo 'deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-archiv ... -security/ wheezy updates/main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list )
update repository data( # apt-get update ),
install flashrom(apt-get install flashrom)
and flash BIOS( # flashrom --programmer internal -w /shares/you_share/ES020IMS.100.bin ).
Photos and fully working BIOS leave here.

At the same time, the support of the seagate could not give me the BIOS file, but the world is not without good people and I found an advertisement for the sale of such a device and the owner kindly agreed to help me. I take this opportunity to thank Kirill once again for agreeing to make a backup copy of BIOS from his device.

If you do not understand the recovery process or have questions, I will try to answer. I did it all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
esomo

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:31 am

Very interesting, thanks for sharing :thumbup

This part may need some more explanation
To program the temporary BIOS chip, I used the ch341a programmer, and the chip itself was soldered to the adapter.

How exactly did you program the temporary bios chip
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby esomo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 am

I used a new chip from the radio parts store (the same as that used on the board Winbond W25Q32), soldered it to the red platform and connected it to the programmer as in the photo and using CH341A Programmer 1.34 (the standard software for this programmer) wrote the BIOS file from the archive, and the device could load the same BIOS file using a flashrom programm I recorded on the device chip and the network storage again fully worked
esomo

Previous

Return to Lacie 5big Pro (intel cpu)