LaCie 5Big NAS PRO Boot issue with blank screen

Re: LaCie 5Big NAS PRO Boot issue with blank screen

Postby fvdw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm

No problem, I am also not always available

seems your fdisk is able to read disks with gpt partition table. Probably a mewer version than mines.

Anyhow from the output of gdisk we learn that there is a problem with the disk, you could try to use the 'v' command in gdisk and the expert commands to try to repair the disk errors and after that sees if it boots. But I am afraid that this disk may have some bad sectors. You should test all other disks as well as the used in raid array.If two of them have a problem the raid array cannot be assembled. It uses raid for all data partitions as far as I know. To check the file systems on those partitions the arrays must be assembled first. As long as the nas won't boot you can forget that
However if it uses uefi boot than most likely partition 1 contains the bootloader (grub)

To see if thats true try to mount the first partition (should be fat32) and look to content of the partition, if it contains a folder efi and subfolder boot then it is the one we are looking for.
Code: Select all
mkdir sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /sdb1
ls /sdb1

try mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /sdb1 if it complains that it cannot determine file system

Then use 'blkid' command to find out the partition uuid of the that partition. If we have that we might be able to prepare an usb stick and boot a kernel from usb. For that we will need to know that partition UUID

If that doesn't work we can try to prepare a disk with a kernel and basic linux system and see if that loads. I did some tests in the meantime with a seagate 4 bay pro nas,that is similar to 5bigpro.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Miheddine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:36 am

Hello, thanks for your kind reply,
i got the following: (seems it's NTFS partitions !!!) is it normal?

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="New Volume" UUID="F8AE56EEAE56A4C2" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="efdfe06e-5f7f-4e74-809c-86543dc0f2a6"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="New Volume" UUID="AC225E69225E3892" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="4afc89ab-222d-4d10-a4b3-13c7d866cc23"
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="New Volume" UUID="BE1E65291E64DBC1" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="2b4443fb-8e5a-4d9b-a489-647afea77711"
/dev/sdb4: LABEL="New Volume" UUID="5A4E6BEA4E6BBD7F" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="6a3525e4-ccc1-4a44-a41f-b208b99ad492"
/dev/sdb5: LABEL="New Volume" UUID="C46A72596A7247E6" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="a681b788-3e79-49e3-b4e2-aca9e7dd8259"
Miheddine

Postby Miheddine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:46 am

i forgot to mention that i have tested the 5 Disks using seagate "SeaTools provided by Seagete) and all are fine with no bad sectors apparently but i observed that the 5 HDDs contain NTFS partitions. maybe we have to convert them into FAT32 format.
I know that we have to install somehow the firmware on the first HDD. let's consider we have 5 new Disks with clean partitions, shall I format them as FAT32? and i agree with you by creating a bootable USB stick in order to boot the system and then can access the HDD and Raid.
thanks again for your kind assistance.
NB: My LaCie 5big was at Someone for fixing before getting back to me, so maybe they did a format for the first HDD into NTFS by mistake (Maybe.. if it shouldn't NTFS)
Miheddine

Postby fvdw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:54 am

When all these partitions are really ntfs it seems to use a different way to boot then my seagate. Uefi boot requires an uefi system partition. It could be that this device has its kernel in flash memory or uses a "windows" type bootloader. As said most likely that can be checked by looking to content of sdb1 and other partitions.
In that case it could be that it makes no sense to make a harddisk with an uefi system partition as the bios doesn't probe harddisks for searching a boot partition. doesn

Did you try to mount sdb1 ? And looked what is inside?

Also it could be helpfull to do that as well with sdb2-5.
Mounting ntfs could be an issue in linux. But if the partitions are really ntfs you should be able to see content of the disk partitions by connecting it to pc running windows.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Miheddine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 am

I did connect all HDDs one by one to a SATA in a PC running windows, i can see them properly (each one contains 5 NTFS partitions with different size different size) with no DATA (empty).

as in my ubuntu system, all partitions are mounted.
Miheddine

Postby Miheddine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:05 am

attached file is the picture for the first HDD appeared in ubuntu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miheddine

Postby fvdw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:11 am

Oke, why do you say they are empty. Sdb1 seems to have some data, at least your screenshot mentions 2.6% used :scratch

Still weird this partition scheme. That looks more like what I found for 5 big office. A device that runs windows server OS.
What mentions the sticker on the bottom of this device?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Miheddine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:16 am

i paid attention that there is some used space but i meant that i found no DATA in windows (Empty page - no files no folders)
as for the NAS, there is no stickers execpt the serial numbers and 2 stickers for MAC addresses !
Miheddine

Postby fvdw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:18 am

NB: My LaCie 5big was at Someone for fixing before getting back to me, so maybe they did a format for the first HDD into NTFS by mistake (Maybe.. if it shouldn't NTFS)

That interesting. At least this partition scheme is different from the seagate and other lacie devices I know. Except 5big office+.
That devices uses this partition scheme
But it is not exactly same as yours
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Miheddine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 am

it seems it could be under NTFS partitions based on your previous post. no?
i believe that the partition containing the firmware (BIOS) is corrupted and need to install a fresh firmware in order to let the LaCie boot again. the issue is to find out the way to install it :)
Miheddine

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie 5big Pro (intel cpu)