Firmware compatible to Wireless Space?

Firmware compatible to Wireless Space?

Postby coelhonet » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:22 pm

I got a LaCie Wireless Space 2TB on a clearance sales, but as far as I can see, your great firmware is for LaCie Network Space v1 and v2 not exactly for Wireless Space.

So, by any chance do you know if it's compatible to Wireless version? Also, if it's not, do you think it'll ever be someday? :please

Thanks a lot!
coelhonet

Re: Firmware compatible to Wireless Space?

Postby Jocko » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi coelhonet,
Today the answer is no :mrgreen: but we could look at this.

A good thing, is nwsp2 (classic) and wireless have the same CPU but several point can fail to adapt the firmware (for example uboot)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby coelhonet » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Ok, no problem, I'll have an eye around here for news related to Wireless Space, however if you need someone to test it in future on such device, I'll be glad to be a beta tester! :)

Thanks a lot!
coelhonet

Postby juan2k » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi,

Any update about this topic?.

regards,

juan
juan2k

Postby fvdw » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 pm

unfortunate not.

The wireless space does not seem to have support in the vanilla kernel. I will have look at it if it can be included easily. Which could be if I can find a setup file in the gpl code of lacie

---edit

I found one and it seems not be too difficult to make it suitable for the vanilla kernel, hower it will require some trial and error. Are you willing to do trials.
We first will try to make a standalone kernel that can be loaded using the fvdw-sl consiole (see downloads section), if that runs we can go to next step and install the firmware. be aware that if you change to our firmware it will make another partition structure on your disk then lacie firmware, meaning if you have important data on it you will need to make a backup, otherwise it will be lost.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 pm

any volunteers for this experiment ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby keyvan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:58 am

I would love to see Wireless Space support so let me know if you still need volunteers.
keyvan

Postby fvdw » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:53 pm

ok I will see if I can prepare setup file and a kernel, can take some days as right now I am busy with releasing version 15-0 of the fvdw-sl firmware
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:01 pm

@keyvan

some progress here, I managed to make a setup file and compile a first version of linux kernel (3.9.5) with support for the wireless space .
Still need to do some checking

Furthermore the wireless space seems to have some special functions like being a dhcp server , router and wireless access point.
The kernel I made has the same setup as the LACIE gpl however I expect that some extra software will be needed to make these functions work. That software is not present in the fvdw-sl firmware. But you should be able to use it as nas device.

How are your linux skills ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby keyvan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:13 am

I'm a fairly novice Linux user, but I can get by. I know the basic file structure and pretty comfortable with terminal access :) I'm not good at coding whatsoever, but I can quality test anything you need as long as it doesn't brick my device (fingers crossed!).

Getting the "Router/Wireless AP/etc..." portion of the Wireless space working would be an added bonus down the road. Basic functionality is a great first start.
keyvan

Next

Return to Development