Bug report: not all valid passwords accepted in setup

Bug report: not all valid passwords accepted in setup

Postby HRte42 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 pm

I had a password which worked in this forum, but when I entered it in the fvdw-sl web UI under "System Management / Setup / Firmware Interface / User account for Plugout.net (Required for downloading)", I got the error message "Can't update the user account". Tried again to no avail.

Then I changed my forum password ⇒ problem solved. So it seems that the firmware cannot handle some valid characters.

These were, I think, all non alphanumeric characters in my former password: ,[?}=$\'#:~
(It was much longer, contained them in another order, and my new password and passwords used elsewhere are not related. So it should be ok to post this.)
HRte42
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Bug report: not all valid passwords accepted in setup

Postby Jocko » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:25 am

Hi

Thank you for the feedback.
Indeed there is a problem but less substantial than you thought. First about your list, only two chars ( ' and : ) occur an error.
About single quote it is a linux special char and it does not worth to implement it. And now you can no longer use it in a password string when you sign up or change the current password.
And about last one, it was because the firmware uses this char in the command line to login to our site. So I patched the firmware and now you can use it in a password string. ;)

So only " ' " is now a forbidden char

I go to post soon a patch archive.

---edit---
posted, here: https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=35355#p35355
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Re: Bug report: not all valid passwords accepted in setup

Postby HRte42 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi,

wow! Thanks for fixing and providing a patch so fast.
HRte42
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Development