This thing is completely broken

This thing is completely broken

Postby nq4tango » Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Installed on my PersonalCloud.

First problem is that it WOULD NOT let me select SAMBA 4. At all. It ignored me. This kept Windows 10 from wanting to access shares. ACtivated CIFS1 in Windows.

Drive access is 50% the speed of what it was with Seagate firmware.

Attempted to use dd to see if it was disk access or SMB; version of included dd doesn't display speed.

Updated to 18-2.

Locked out of web console. It no longer accepts the set password or previous passwords. Can access via user; but that gets me nothing.

Update:
Wiped everything and started over from 18-1; upgraded to 18-2 without setting web interface password. This kept things working.

Still cannot get Samba 4 to actually work. Guess I will poke around a shell.

Update 2.0:

Lousy performance via SMB was due to the old SMB stuff I had to activate in order to make a SMB connection to this. Not an issue as I really didn't plan on using SMB directly from the device in the first place.

Code: Select all
hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1090 MB in  2.00 seconds = 545.26 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  490 MB in  3.01 seconds = 162.94 MB/sec

Ok...so I can at least confirm data reads are what they should. dd doesn't display write speeds; no compilers to actually update coreutils.

sftp as normal yielded 3MB/s writes; likely something screwy with the configuration involving separate sftp option for port 8022. Ok.

Activated FTP. Can upload around 40MB/s and download around 60MB/s. I don't remember what write performance was with Seagate NASOS; but I do know 70 to 80MB/s over SMB was average on very large files.

I hadn't planned on using samba directly anyway and routing through a VM with a dedicated connection/network between PersonalCloud and virtualization machine. So I'll set up an nfs share; power the thing down, plug it in to the rack and see if at least my read speeds are acceptable.
nq4tango

Re: This thing is completely broken

Postby fvdw » Mon May 04, 2020 8:10 am

Hi, to be able to use samba 4 you must become donator, it is an addon and those are only for donators.
Furthermore to be able to install addons you must enter your plugout credentials in the setup page of system management. See here https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3224#p31789

I have a personal cloud myself and I get similar speeds as on lacie firmware with smb4 (upload (write) 40-45 MB/s and download (read) 90-100 MB/s. Be informed that after finishing install the data partition is formatted in ext4 in the background. This will affect performance. Depending on size of the harddisk it can take several hours to complete. This is chosen to make nas already available so user doesn't have to wait to complete formatting.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby nq4tango » Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm

fvdw wrote:Hi, to be able to use samba 4 you must become donator, it is an addon and those are only for donators.
Furthermore to be able to install addons you must enter your plugout credentials in the setup page of system management. See here https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3224#p31789

I have a personal cloud myself and I get similar speeds as on lacie firmware with smb4 (upload (write) 40-45 MB/s and download (read) 90-100 MB/s. Be informed that after finishing install the data partition is formatted in ext4 in the background. This will affect performance. Depending on size of the harddisk it can take several hours to complete. This is chosen to make nas already available so user doesn't have to wait to complete formatting.

While that may not be a violation of GPL; I feel it's a violation of open-source mentality. "Forced donations" are, IMO, another way of saying "you need to pay". I should be made to feel like a project is worth my money. Being told I have to donate to activate features has the opposite effect; it makes me ask why I should cough up money? Sure, you worked on it; but telling me I need to pay just turns me off of open-source projects like this...and it makes a LOT of people shy away from open source. I've spent a lot of time on my own projects that earned me squat. You either do things as a hobby or you do things as a job.

Demanding donations for features is a job; not a hobby.

I will likely be wiping the OS partition and going back to Debian. The performance of this thing has to be far beyond just an ext4 limitation. I get 10MB/s writes over SAMBA. 30MB/s over NFS. Most of my files appear to be broken and it's permissions problems.

I will also say I should have been leary of this from the start. A project that requires you to register for a forum to find anything out is suspect. Multi-part downloads only available on forums make me wonder if you know how to properly configure PHP to allow large files. This is unprofessional even by open source standards.

Drive formatting wasn't my problem...I know more than enough to have figured that out. The original issue was after flashing debian the speeds tanked. I was hoping there was something with the fact the first installer detected the drive as a giant LVM within a software RAID; I suspect Seagate did some junk to make the OF work better. I was hoping maybe your firmware would have maintained that...but at least, at first, I got relatively good write speeds over NFS.

Now those have tanked...and I'm overall not very happy with the ancient builds of stuff you used. How come dd doesn't report write speed? Were any of these sources from this millennium?
nq4tango

Postby fvdw » Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Well, you don't have to use our firmware or addons, its a free choice so we force nobody. If you don't want use or make a donation for addons thats ok with us please go somewhere else or write your own application, no problem. :roll: We are talking here on 5 euro, probably you spend more for a glass of beer when going out.
You have no idea on how many hours were spend to make this firmware and to make it available for others. Asking a donation to help covering a part of costs of the web site to make it available for others is not unfair.

That having said some comments to your statements.

I will likely be wiping the OS partition and going back to Debian. The performance of this thing has to be far beyond just an ext4 limitation. I get 10MB/s writes over SAMBA. 30MB/s over NFS. Most of my files appear to be broken and it's permissions problems.

No problem do it, I hope you will be satisfied with your debian setup. Good luck
About broken files and permission problems , I think that it is not true. At least I don't see any issue here neither with nfs or ftp. If you have a poor lan with bad cabling than you may corrupt files during transfer. PS On samba its normal that you cannot preserve permission, if you are knowledgeable you will now why.
That you are getting low write and read speeds on your seagate must be something in your lan setup or pc receving transmitting the files, we see very different speeds.

I will also say I should have been leary of this from the start. A project that requires you to register for a forum to find anything out is suspect. Multi-part downloads only available on forums make me wonder if you know how to properly configure PHP to allow large files. This is unprofessional even by open source standards.

Well most of the forums on the internet require registration for obvious reasons, keeping spammers out or persons making unappropriated posts.
And yes we know how to configure phpBB to handle large files but there are users behind ISP's that don't allow downloading large files. For those people we split them to be able to download them, probably you didn't think on that possibility.

Now those have tanked...and I'm overall not very happy with the ancient builds of stuff you used. How come dd doesn't report write speed? Were any of these sources from this millennium?

Also here you seem to have a very narrow view. This firmware also have to run on a device with as little as 16 MB of RAM and most of them have only 128, 256 or 512 MB RAM and a cpu with limited power. Therefor the package must be kept small that explains why for instance we do not include a full core utilities package but busybox instead. The dd command is part of busybox. Normally user do not use dd command, its a nas not a pc to develop software. It does what has to do in our firmware there is no need for a newer dd version.
About "ancient stuff". You make me laugh, also not true, we use recent kernels (4.14.133 in this case), while most lacie or seagate kernels still use old linux ker 2.x or 3.x kernel. Also most applications are latest available stable versions, for sure more recent versions then used by seagate and lacie in the original firmware.

To conclude my opinion on your post, I think it is insulting , unjustified and not very constructive. Why ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

some speed tests on my seagate personal cloud

samba-3.0.37 is use smb1 protocol, as you can see samba-4.9.4 is more then twice faster, but also my performance on samba-3.0.37 is twice from yours.
$matches[2]
read-seagate-pc-samba-3.0.37.JPG
$matches[2]
$matches[2]
$matches[2]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Wed May 06, 2020 8:07 pm

we are waiting you for making a better firmware than ours and then we will accept your comments
:tapfoot
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Seagate personal cloud