Minidlna media Server problem

Minidlna media Server problem

Postby m1m1sm1t1c0 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:02 pm

I have a SmartTV connected to the network, but it takes a long time (15 minutes or even more) to find Minidlna when I turn it on and the NAS is already working.

Looking for a solution, I turn on the TV first and then turn on the NAS. With this, TV connects quickly, but not always. Sometimes I need to do 2 or 3 times.

However, in the interface when clicking "Stop Server" and then immediately click "Start Server" (of course with the TV on), the connection is instantaneous.

I can do something to avoid having to turn off my NAS or go to PC and logon in interface?

I'm using firmware version: fvdw-sl 17.0 patched (nwsp2)

Thanks since now...
m1m1sm1t1c0

Re: Minidlna media Server problem

Postby Jocko » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi m1m1sm1t1c0,

Maybe it is a delay issue: time to spin-up the internal disk.

To valid this idea, do this before switching on your TV
- open a file stored in a share from your laptop (to spin up the disk)
- wait until the file is really opened and switch on your TV
Then see if it finds fastly Minidlna server on the nas

Note: I moved your topic as your posted it in the seagate personal cloud forum ;)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby m1m1sm1t1c0 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 pm

Jocko wrote:Note: I moved your topic as your posted it in the seagate personal cloud forum ;)

The topic was in "Seagate personal cloud" because my NAS is of that type, with the guide of that forum i have fvdw-sl.

Jocko wrote:Hi m1m1sm1t1c0,

Maybe it is a delay issue: time to spin-up the internal disk.

To valid this idea, do this before switching on your TV
- open a file stored in a share from your laptop (to spin up the disk)
- wait until the file is really opened and switch on your TV
Then see if it finds fastly Minidlna server on the nas

With this variant it did not work either. I did it a couple of times last night and can not find Mindnla.

One question, what is the "Notify Interval" parameter used for?

Thanks...
m1m1sm1t1c0

Postby Jocko » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi

m1m1sm1t1c0 wrote:The topic was in "Seagate personal cloud" because my NAS is of that type
Then why you said in the first post
m1m1sm1t1c0 wrote:I'm using firmware version: fvdw-sl 17.0 patched (nwsp2)
:scratch

About "Notify Interval", you have information in minidlna help page
Notify interval:
interval in seconds that notify function used to check for new files. So if set to 900 it will check every 15 minutes if new files are added in the media directories. So it can take a while before files become visible after you have added them to the media folders.
If you set a small value and you have many media files in the folders monitored by Minidlna then it may Minidlna did not finish the former scan when restarting a new scan. I do not have tested this point but perhaps in such case minidlna may a too long time to send an answer.

To valid this point you can change this value (you can set a long interval if the content of the monitored folder seldom changes). After doing it you need to restart Minidlna

Other point, when your TV takes a long time to find Minidlna, if you try to get the presentation page in a browser (http://nasname:8200), do you have a fast answer ?
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby m1m1sm1t1c0 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:21 pm

Jocko wrote:Then why you said in the first post
m1m1sm1t1c0 wrote:I'm using firmware version: fvdw-sl 17.0 patched (nwsp2)

Excuse me please if it was a mistake. But the Seagate NAS web interface on the "System Information" page says this. I thought it would be useful to explain that I have the updated version.

Jocko wrote:About "Notify Interval", you have information in minidlna help page

Sorry, I opened that page and I really did not see it, there it is.

Jocko wrote:To valid this point you can change this value (you can set a long interval if the content of the monitored folder seldom changes). After doing it you need to restart Minidlna

I set the value to 5 and in a couple of tests found fast Minidlna. That's why I asked for its functionality, to know if it could be a solution. Anyway, I'd have to test it more calmly tonight.

Jocko wrote:Other point, when your TV takes a long time to find Minidlna, if you try to get the presentation page in a browser (http://nasname:8200), do you have a fast answer ?

Very fast, almost instantaneous.

Thanks...
m1m1sm1t1c0

Postby Jocko » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:42 pm

m1m1sm1t1c0 wrote:But the Seagate NAS web interface on the "System Information" page says this.
Ok I understood you have really a seagate nas and moved again the topic in seagate forum. :mrgreen:
Up to now, I thought only TonyP tried to use our firmware on this platform type. :thumbup
in TonyP's topic Jocko wrote:With the attached file, the firmware will handle your nas like a network space 2 and then you will be able to install patches or other extra-packages.
Please to note, you are not still able to upgrade the firmware.
(This will be done only if you want to keep our firmware on your nas : need to make some other changes to have a full support)
As TonyP posted no feedback, we did not work more this project. :tapfoot
So a new job to do :whistle
In few weeks, I will post a package to make a full support for Seagate personal cloud

m1m1sm1t1c0 wrote:Sorry, I opened that page and I really did not see it, there it is.
I was not enough clear: you need to open the help page when you configure Minidlna to have this information
m1m1sm1t1c0 wrote:I set the value to 5 and in a couple of tests found fast Minidlna.
it is a too much lower value!!! you should not use a value less then 300 (every 5 min) if you do not have many files/subfolders and you have to increase it at the opposite case

Anyhow it does not explain what happens with minidlna.

Do you try to reset Minidlna database? Maybe it is corrupted
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby m1m1sm1t1c0 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Jocko wrote:Up to now, I thought only TonyP tried to use our firmware on this platform type. :thumbup
I have 4 NAS, 3 in the company and the other at home. In the company one working as FTP Server. Months ago. All with fvdw-sl-17.0-patch07-01aug2018.zip

Jocko wrote:As TonyP posted no feedback, we did not work more this project. :tapfoot
So a new job to do :whistle
In few weeks, I will post a package to make a full support for Seagate personal cloud
Very good news, if I can help, I'm willing.

Jocko wrote:I was not enough clear: you need to open the help page when you configure Minidlna to have this information
Yes, this was my error.

Jocko wrote:it is a too much lower value!!! you should not use a value less then 300 (every 5 min) if you do not have many files/subfolders and you have to increase it at the opposite case
I get it.

Jocko wrote:Anyhow it does not explain what happens with minidlna.
Down I tell you what I tried last night

Jocko wrote:Do you try to reset Minidlna database? Maybe it is corrupted
Yes and nothing.

Last night, with "Notify Interval" in 900, look in TV...
https://imgur.com/a/jIwd5yP
while he does not find Minidlna,
more than 16 minutes later look...
https://imgur.com/a/EsyMC1u
here Minidnla was already available.

I tried with 300, 150, 60 y 30 the value "Notify Interval". A few seconds passed each interval then TV find Mindnla.

Finally...
https://imgur.com/a/P9QIzG6
with disabled notify, bump... very fast find tv to Minidnla. I understand that with this configuration I have to do manual "Start server with rescan", but I prefer it.
m1m1sm1t1c0

Postby Jocko » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi

Thank you with yours answer.

So disable inotify support fixes your issue. As inotify is a kernel feature maybe there is an problem with your platform type :scratch

---edit---
Truncated post: other part here:http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2990
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby m1m1sm1t1c0 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Jocko wrote:if you enable notify option with a value 60, when you add a new media file or remove one, do you notice a change on the presentation page when you reload it after waiting the notify interval ?
I'll tell you tomorrow, try tonight at home.

---edit---
Truncated post, other part here: http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=38&p=28869#p28869
m1m1sm1t1c0

Postby m1m1sm1t1c0 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Jocko wrote:if you enable notify option with a value 60, when you add a new media file or remove one, do you notice a change on the presentation page when you reload it after waiting the notify interval ?
No matter the value 60, 300 or 900. Once you finish copying (or deleting) the changes are reflected on the presentation page. Refresh page and... bump... there is.
m1m1sm1t1c0

Next

Return to Seagate personal cloud