fvdw on raspi4

Re: fvdw on raspi4

Postby fvdw » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:43 pm

oke ;) can happen

Still your writing speeds are low, I just connected a usb-2.0-sata interface to the white usb with settings mount as external share. The disk in this interface is an old maxtor 250 GB disk formatted in ext3 using samba 4
For big files
writing speed (to the rspb4) was 30 MB/s
reading, windows says 112 MB/s but on usb-2.0 max speed is 480 Mbits/s so thats a little strange

For small files
For 1 GB of small files the writing speed is most of the time 22 MB/s sometimes for short period dropping to 12 MB/s
Reading speed 45 MB/s sometimes droping for short time to 15 MB/s

So much better then your performance this could also be related to the performance of your PC's hard disk

The function which failed was "initialising" disk from the disk setup-setup menu. I saw that the disk setup- external disks menu has a format function when a disk is identified as external. I would consider usb connected disks as external but they do not show up here. So I am wrong somehow!?

Yes something is not right there I tried to format the trial disk using the initialize function, it succeeded to remove partition table but failed to format the disk with message could not the disk, like you had .
Also it is identified as sda while it should be sea when it is classified as external disk, so we will investigate there what is going on

Next test is testing speed with disk mounted as internal disk
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 pm

when mounted as internal share, same performance. With the smal files reading was somewhat faster then with previous test.

I can repeat with ext4 but I guess it will be 10% better as ext3.
One remark as long as the disk did not complete the formatting in ext4 (see post Jocko) the writing and reading speed might be lower.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:49 pm

I repeated with ext4, same performance as ext3 I would say
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi 1, 2, 3 and 4