Write and Read speed very low

Write and Read speed very low

Postby eng_murat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi,

when I copy data from my PC to a share on RPi or the other way the write/read speed is around 900kb/s which is very very low. I was running before samba on raspian and by default the speed was around 3-4MB/s. And after overclocking to 1GHz the speed was around 10MB/s. So what can be the cause of this problem? The setup is the same, I just switched to this wonderfully designed SW. I looked around the filesystem but could not see the famous config.txt file to overclock the Broadcom CPU. Can this be actually done with your FW?

Thanks in advance.

Br
eng_murat

Re: Write and Read speed very low

Postby fvdw » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm

the raspberry has only a 100 Mbits/s lan port
So speed will never be higher then 7-8 Mbyte/s

Which file transfer server did you use (samba, ftp)? if you use SSH then speed will be lower due to encryption

other possibilities
- Also writing many small file will reduce writing speed.
- if you write to the SD card also that can lower speed.
- you use an usb hub and the hub is not set at high speed so using 1.1 mode instead of 2.0
- if you have running an mediaserver like twonky it might be busy with indexing the media files

we have no option to overclock the cpu. We use the standard ARCH-Linux kernel, its setup is in partition 1 on the sd card.

I did quickly some test on my rspb2 to see speed here, so far I only used it with an usb stick and SD card

writing to sd-card and an usb stick connected to usb port via samba
both have a write speed of 6.0-5.5 MByte/s and reading 7.0 -7.5 MByte/s
(fvdw-sl 16-0 copying a 350 MB media file)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby knielen » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Uhm, about the overclock.

Last week I overclocked my Rpi B+ to 900 Mhz. I did this by putting my SD-card in my PC and editing the config.txt which is in the root folder. NAS is still very stable and no temperature problems. I do use an aluminium case with heatsink on the CPU.
knielen
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:01 pm

According with some rspb2 pages , you can try 1000Mhz.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby eng_murat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm running it now at 1GHz, but as it is only running at that frequency when it needs there should be no temperture problems at all. I was running it at 1GHz before for a long time already.
eng_murat

Postby mdi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:59 am

Raspberry Pi shares the bus accross the ethernet and usb ports and, if I'm not wrong, processor. So of you have a lot of i/o to/from the usb, this slows down the Ethernet speed and viceversa.
mdi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Raspberry Pi 1, 2, 3 and 4