No Boot

No Boot

Postby tb-av » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:52 pm

I have tried several times to get an 8G card to boot. Undere win8 it says the card is 94.3MB for some reason. Never noticed that before and I have booted other things with it.

So anyway, used Win32disk to write image. Got a 'success' message. Tried it on two different R-Pis and nothing happens. All I get is the power led glowing. Tried to find it on the network but it's not there. No video display, tried composite and HDMI.

any idea what I might be doing wrong? This is a SanDisk card btw.

Will download another image in mean time... Oh... I was installing the June release Raspb2-install-11-june-14
tb-av

Re: No Boot

Postby uelpenich » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm

With big SD memory cards it is a good idea to format first the SD card with a tool
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
before writing the image.

After booting the image the first action is to expand the filesystem as described in the raspberry os installing descriptions.
uelpenich
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby tb-av » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Ok, I used that program and it did indeed see the card at 8G now.

Here is what I done and it still doesn't work.

Format the card to 8G
Write the OS
Move SD card to Pi
Connect ethernet
Connect HDMI
Connect Power

Wait a few minutes.

Run fvdw-sl assistant - it finds nothing
Monitor connected to Pi never connects or shows any signs of a signal.

Are you saying there is some additional procedure I need? Those are the only instructions I have seen.
tb-av

Postby fvdw » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Please describe the behavior of the leds on the raspberry board when you connect power and hwo you exactly have written the firmware to the SD card
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby uelpenich » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Until now I did two fvdw-raspberry installations, one to a 8GByte stick and the other one to a 64MByte stick.

I used the procedure and the image described here:
http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1878
After that I updated to V16.0 using the firmware update procedure. This update covers all previous patches.

If you connect a hdmi screen you'll see a short time after power on the console.log. At the end of the log you will see the ip address your dhcp server assigned to the fvdw-raspberry. Use this ip address in your favorite browser to start the config page.
uelpenich
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby tb-av » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:45 pm

fvdw wrote:Please describe the behavior of the leds on the raspberry board when you connect power and hwo you exactly have written the firmware to the SD card

The red comes on and stays on. Right after the red led lights the green led flashes once.

Red=Steady
Green=1 blink

The exact way I wrote the firmware was to place the card in the slot on my laptop. ASUS Win 8.1. I then used the Win32 prog to write the file. It takes maybe 10 minutes and there is a steady progress bar. Once done it says it was written successfully. Then I eject via Win 8.1 and remove the card from slot in PC and place in R-Pi. Then I connect network cab;e then HDMI, then power.
tb-av

Postby fvdw » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:07 pm

seems it doesn't recognize your SD card, is it compatible with the raspberry ?. I am not an raspberry expert it might be that the ARCH-Linux kernel has no driver for your type sd card.
Maybe you find ion raspberry forum if this sd card is ok to use.

the green and yellow led should flicker for some period, then go off for a few seconds and then continue flickering

ps there no need to connect hdmi cable as no montor driver is implemented, all communication goes by LAN
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby tb-av » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:49 pm

Ok, thanks , that did it. I found a full size and better 16G Sandisk card and that works now.

Have logged in via Web.

Thanks!
tb-av

Return to Raspberry Pi 1, 2, 3 and 4