wifi?

wifi?

Postby ravecrocker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:53 am

would there be any problems attempting to use a wifi dongle on the raspberry pi and this os opposed to having it hard wired to the network, i'd like to have my project in the living room and the router in the office.

by the way loving the os so far my project feels like its actually getting somewhere

edit i attempted to use my netgear WNDA3100 but i wasn't able to connect
ravecrocker

Re: wifi?

Postby fvdw » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:05 am

in principle it is possible, it will depend if support of your dongle has been build into the arch-linux kernel that we used. We did not compile this one ourselves but it seems pretty complete. In future release we might recompile so we are more flexible in adding these kind of features

Ddid you try ? with dmesg output you can check if a driver loads but also with the usb menu in the webinterface you can check if the dongle is recognized and a driver is loaded.

wpa supplicant is part of the firmware so you are able to setup a connection (using command line but also by making a small script that runs at boot, the firmware allow to run user made scripts at boot)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: wifi?

Postby fvdw » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:34 pm

in addition to the above it seems the arch linux kernel has support for several dongles but all are configured as kernel modules so depenendt on the devices the corresponding kernel modules must be loaded. probably I can them find in the arch-linux package
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Raspberry Pi 1, 2, 3 and 4