no nas found after reinstall

no nas found after reinstall

Postby Alpaca83 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:42 pm

Hi,

I tried to install your firmware last night, and after realizing i needed to read the documentation it installed without a problem. I could see it when i went to the ip adres and set up a share and a network drive. Everything seemed to work as intended.
Then i wanted to add a disk, so i just shoved them all in, thinking the system would sort it out. It didn't, but then found the documentation related to that.

I tried to log in with putty, but thought i changed the password to something i can't remember when experimenting with the settings.
Then i decided i needed a fresh install, (i have since discovered that the pass was probably root:giveit2me) But i started from square zero and did the entire install process again on a fresh disk.
This time it went a lot easier. The entire install process went as before, everything fine, i reboot and i can't find it on the network.
Tried the assistant, it doesn't find an ip, tried an ip scanner, he doesn't find a thing either?

Any idea where i went wrong? I reinstalled everything like 5 times allready, and after the reboot i get a fast flashing red light on the front every time.
Alpaca83

Re: no nas found after reinstall

Postby Jocko » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:56 am

Hi

The best way is to use the firmware web-interface (disk setup menu), to initialize them and later to build a raid if you want.

Note: if you reuse the disks of you lacie nas (so with lacie OS on the disk), I advice you to make an hotplug to avoid a conflict with lacie kernel when you start the nas. So after plugging the disks, wait around 1 or 2 minutes before refreshing the disk setup menu. They should be listed there.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Re: no nas found after reinstall

Postby Alpaca83 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:08 pm

Your documentation says that the nas should be switched off when adding new disks. Also, they are new disks (from another raid sytem i assume) but all the partitions are removed. But that's not the problem i'm solving now.

When i reinstalled the firmware on an new blank partitionless disk, it didn't show up in the network any more. only thing i can think of is that i gave the nas a fixed ip on the first install, and now the thing that gives ip adresses on my network is confused?

I know a bit about computers, but not very much about networks and linux.
Alpaca83

Return to Lacie 5Big Network vs1