New Installtion on 5Big - Trouble adding disks

New Installtion on 5Big - Trouble adding disks

Postby mattenwright » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:05 pm

First and foremost thank you to all of the folks that made this firmware possible!
I was able to get this installed and working fairly quickly and without issues. I will be donating a bit later for sure.
I purchased the NAS second-hand, so I didn't care about the data at all... I performed a factory reset to gain access to the config, that didn't work. I went through recovery, it failed and rendered the NAS non-bootable on the LaCie firmware. After reading through the docs here (and having some registration issues due to a gmail account), I was able to get the firmware installed successfully to the first disk in the NAS. Kudos for making this pretty much painless :-D

The issue I'm facing is that i have the firmware installed successfully on one drive and the system boots up and does everything normally.
I go to put any number of additional disks in the NAS (1 to 4 more), and all I have is a blinking blue light on the front with nothing for disk activity, or network accessibility.
If I power the NAS off (pulling the power cable is the only way), wait a few moments, pull the extra disks out, then power the NAS back on, all is right in the world and everything comes happily back to life.

Looking at the "Add additional disks" instructions I should be able to get to the NAS via SSH... but its not even getting an IP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again and in advance!
mattenwright
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: New Installtion on 5Big - Trouble adding disks

Postby fvdw » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:31 pm

What is the position of the system disk? Seen from the back of the nas it must be in most lefthand position.
Furthermore the disks you put in must have no lacie firmware on it. If they are used in the nas with lacie firmware first remove all partitions
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby mattenwright » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Thanks for the reply!
I put the system disk in the left-most slot (labelled #1 on the NAS itself). I'm not sure if there is anything still on the other drives, but I can certainly take them and wipe them all out.
Should I put any partitions on them at all, or just leave them entirely blank?
mattenwright
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby mattenwright » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:16 am

So I tried having no partition on the drives first (used gparted to remove all partitions), and that seems to have worked perfectly!
I also found that I have 1 bad drive, so that was also causing the system to not boot correctly... (it gets IO errors... I may try to see if I can get it running again later).

I sent in a 20 Euro donation, thank you all again

Also, quick question, and I think I saw this elsewhere in the forums, is there any support for the rear switch yet?
mattenwright
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:43 am

thank you for your donation much appreciated, we added you to the donators group.

About power switch.
No not yet the problem here is that I don't have a 5big1 myself and do need some specific info to add the power switch function.
However you can use the web interface to switch off the 5big1. Se system management tab.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby mattenwright » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:57 pm

What kind of info do you need?
I'd be happy to assist. I'm not going to be moving the NAS to its new roll for at least a week or so.
I have a little experience with JTAG (I would need some guidance), and I'm up for soldering if need be.

I also run a few Linux machines and some windows machines.
Feel free to PM me or email me.
mattenwright
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 pm

I had a quick look at this. It seems at least the front button (the big blue light) is implemented
If you press and hold it for at least 1 second and release it before 5 seconds, a reboot is initiated.
If you press and hold it longer then 5 seconds a power-off should be initiated

Please test
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby mattenwright » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks very much for the reply!
I did some testing, and it does not appear that the button on the front has any impact on the system at all.

I tried several times to perform a reboot and to perform a shutdown, using the steps you provided but nothing happens at all on the NAS.

I also tried holding the button for longer, just in case I was getting overzealous, but nothing at all.

Thanks very much again, and please let me know if you need any info at all.
mattenwright
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 pm

thats odd :scratch

I assume you are familiar with linux, please connect via ssh and at linux prompt give commands below and post output of each command
Code: Select all
uname -a
ps -ef | grep buttons
ls -al /usr/sbin/buttonsd | grep buttonsd
ls -al /dev/input
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby mattenwright » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:49 am

Thanks for the follow up! Here are the results from each command:

uname -a output:
Linux LaCie5Big1-fvdw.local 3.14.2 #11 Mon Feb 27 18:10:55 CET 2017 armv5tel unknown unknown GNU/Linux

ps -ef | grep buttons output:
root      1986  1971  0 23:48 pts/0    00:00:00 grep buttons

ls -al /usr/sbin/buttonsd | grep buttonsd output:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 22 2020-09-08 23:40 /usr/sbin/buttonsd -> /bin_cab/buttons-nwsp2

ls -al /dev/input output:
total 10
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   1024 2000-01-08 21:40 .
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root   9216 2020-09-08 23:40 ..
crw-r--r--  1 root root 13, 64 2000-01-08 21:40 event0
mattenwright
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Next

Return to Lacie 5Big Network vs1