Installing fvdw-sl firmware on Lacie 5Big Network

Installing fvdw-sl firmware on Lacie 5Big Network

Postby Kippara » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:32 pm

I have a Lacie 5Big network V1. I want to install the fvdw firmware on it but I have some problems. I made a donation of €20 and have downloaded fvdw-sl-console-6-18-1-v2-29jul2019-32bits.part1.rar. I tried to run the console but I am asked for a password. I have also downloaded spd8020-first-time-install-package-13feb14.part01.rar but it is asking for a new volume. Is this one of the disks from the 5Big? I have also downloaded install_fvdw_sl_firmware_hlp.zip and read it thoroughly and attempted to follow the instructions but to no avail and am still none the wiser about how I am to install the firmware on my 5Big. Can anyone give me a clear set of instructions on how to install the firmware and configure my 5Big please.
Kippara
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Installing fvdw-sl firmware on Lacie 5Big Network

Postby fvdw » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:55 pm

The password for the the console is 33305

It is mentioned in the download topic were you downloaded the console
Installation.
To install it download the 5 rar files of the package of your choice and extract them in a directory of your choice where you want to install the fvdw-sl-console on your windows pc.
To start the program double click on the file with name "fvdw-sl-console.exe".
It will ask for password, for this version it is the number "33305"
The password protection is useful as with the program someone can easily erase all the data on you nas.

The spd8020 package is of no use to you, it is for a different device.
You must use the fvdw-sl console and choose as action install firmware and follow the instructions given in the console.
After starting the action install firmware you will be ask to select a standalone kernel, select the 5big1 standalone kernel and when telnet window pops up log in and run the command fvdwsl-programs as mentioned in the help text in the fvdw-sl console and choose install firmware in the menu proceed and select 5big1 as device in the menu when asked
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Kippara » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Thank you for that. Your assistance is most appreciated.
I have followed your instructions and each stage of the process appeared to have completed successfully to the "reboot -f" point. I have attempted to log in via the browser but I cannot find an IP address for the 5Big NAS. I have used the fvdw-sl-assistant which states "no nas found. click scan button". I clicked the Manual Scan , enterred the IP range for my LAN but no success. I checked my router which hosts hdcp for my LAN but there is no address there for the MAC address. The front light on the 5Big is blinking red and the disks 1, 4 and 5 are showing activity while 2 & 3 appear dormant. Could you advise if I have I made a mistake or missed something and suggest how I may be able to connect. I am using 2TB Seagate Iron Wolf hard drives.
Kippara
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:57 am

Hi,
As I read you have installed the firmware with all disk inserted, as result it will be on the wrong disk and boot fails because the kernel search for firmware on the wrong disk.
To install the firmware put in only one disk in the most lefthand side slot seen from the back of 5big1. So remove all other disks.

After succesfull install reboot the 5big1 with only one disk to see if now the firmware runs. After that follow the guide to install more disks (see dowload section of the forum).

Remark. Be sure to remove all partitions from the additional disks you add before inserting them in your 5big1. The reason is that if you have firmware installed also on one of disks you removed, inserting that will confuse the bootloader and boot may fail.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Kippara » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:32 am

Could you tell me where the "download section" of the forum is please. It is probably quite obvious but I can't find a download section for adding extra hard disks anywhere.
Kippara
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Read this topic it contains the instruction to add disks http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1271
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Kippara » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:19 am

Thanks for your help. fvdw-sl 18-1 now installed on 5Big1 with Seagate Ironwolf 2TB disks and RAID 0 configured. €30 contribution made.
Kippara
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:25 am

Thank you very much for this new donation, really appreciated. We hope that our firmware fullfils your expectations
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby egystep » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:22 pm

fvdw wrote:Thank you very much for this new donation, really appreciated. We hope that our firmware fullfils your expectations

Hi fvdw, I've made a donation too :) I'm following your work since 2014, keep on!! have a nice weekend
egystep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:46 am

egystep wrote:
fvdw wrote:Thank you very much for this new donation, really appreciated. We hope that our firmware fullfils your expectations

Hi fvdw, I've made a donation too :) I'm following your work since 2014, keep on!! have a nice weekend

Thank you for your feedback and donation, much appreciated.

We added you to the donators group and granted access to addons

Kind regards
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie 5Big Network vs1