Cannot Install: No TFTP Traffic

Cannot Install: No TFTP Traffic

Postby wuggawugga » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi

I've finally decided to take the time to try and upgrade my 5Bigv1, but I can't get it working.

I'm using fvdw-sl-console-6-16-1-9feb2016-32bits according to the instructions, but I get no activity on the TFTP server.
The unit is directly connected to my laptop using wired ethernet, and I have a Wireshark session running to monitor the network traffic.
I've tried this a number of times, and there is nothing on the wire before Appletalk and NetBIOS announcements. I have allowed the programs through Windows firewall and also tried with the firewall turned off, which seems to make no difference.
I've also tried a number of disk configurations (new, used, blank, none) which also seems to make no difference.

Am I missing something?
Can I do this manually instead somehow? I don't mind messing with the disks directly.

Pls halp

/Wugs
wuggawugga

Re: Cannot Install: No TFTP Traffic

Postby wuggawugga » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:36 am

I worked out the initial issue, but ran into another one.

The initial issue was that clunc-open does not choose the correct NIC, if several are present. When it is working, it will send out broadcast UDP packets to trigger the TFTP connection. My solution was to disable all NICs except the wired one connected to the NAS.

My new problem is that the firmware doesn't seem to install correctly. I have 5 spare 2TB WD Green disks (NOS) - all of them failed with DRDY ERR/ABRT in the kernel log. I then tried with an old 1TB orignal Lacie disk, which seemed to be formatted wrong by fdisk. The installer will finish, but some errors will be visible afterwards. It looks like one or more partitions are too large, and the firmware image is written out of bounds.

My next task is to check out the WD drives, to see if indeed all 5 are dead or if something can be done. I just thought I'd mention the NIC issue, since that might be a common problem.

/Wugs
wuggawugga

Postby fvdw » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 am

Thx Wugs for sharing your experience.

About the NIC. Yes this a known issue. Indeed if you have multiple NIC's you must disable them except one (wired).
I must check if we have mentioned this on the download page and the help files.

About your disk issue. I don't think this a problem of fdisk or gdisk. As many users used the programs without seeing this problem. More likely is a hardware problem. That all disks have a problem is not so likely but it could be the sata interface of your 5big1. To rule out the disk test 1 in another pc. With a usb/sata cinnverter it is easy. If that disk is fine put it in the 5big1 and test again. Install the firmware with only 1 disk in your 5big1 in the most lefthand side slot seen from the back.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby wuggawugga » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 pm

It must be a disk problem. I tested all my disks on a PC and got some weird errors. Either they are all borked or have some common compatibility issue.
I did find another 1TB disk I didn't know I had, so I'll give it a go with that later.
wuggawugga

Return to Lacie 5Big Network vs1