5BIGNAS endless boot cycle

5BIGNAS endless boot cycle

Postby ptestfall » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi,
this week I found my 5BIGNAS unexpectedly turned off.
I don't know for how long and don't know the reason.

Now when I try to turn it on, the front LED blinks blue, the 5 LEDs on the back blink blue and the network port blinks as well.
As soon as I hear one of the drives trying to spin up, the device turns off and the blue LED blink cycle and drive spin up attempt starts again.

The behaviour can best be seen on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lne_PfzdJeE

With one drive removed, to test if its a faulty drive, same behaviour.
With all drives removed the device blinks for a long time and ends with a front red led.

Any idea what could be the cause?

Thanks for any help
pt
ptestfall

Re: 5BIGNAS endless boot cycle

Postby fvdw » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:31 pm

Could be a power supply issue, when the disks spin up the power supply is heavy loaded and if it cannot supply the power the voltage drops and the unit turns off, load is reduced on the power supply and the voltage comes back and power on cycle is started. Try what happens with one disk but better try another power supply if you have one
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: 5BIGNAS endless boot cycle

Postby ptestfall » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks fvdw.
It was a power supply issue.
Strange enough, the power supply says 12V with 6.67A. I tried a laboratory power supply from a friend and it reads 12V with a one time peak maximum of 3.6A during power up.
So i bought a new meanwell power supply and the NAS boots up again without problems and works again.
ptestfall

Return to Lacie 5Big Network vs1