Lacie 2Big Network vs1

Re: Lacie 2Big Network vs1

Postby fvdw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:53 pm

u-boot doesn't run a service on any port. So useless to scan with nmap

In meantime if look at my pm as I remembered that Uelpenich hasd a problem once with booting
He got the problem after fiddling with the disk. initially the install via fvdw-sl console worked as expected
Uelpenich.
I was afraid that my 2Big1 became a brick. It stopped doing anything, it even didn't boot from the fvdwsl console.
Then I did the factory reset ceremony, and I prepared a second disk with fvdw firmware V10.
I put this disk (3TByte formatted as 2TByte dos partition table) to drive slot 2 (right hand slot), together with the first (2TByte) disk in slot 1 (left hand side).

Surprise: the system booted and works. I get an interesting mixture of the new V10 system in slot 2 and my data in slot 1.

Note that he mentioned that it didn't even boot anymore from the fvdw-sl console.
So apparently there can happen something that makes the boot process not work.

So maybe you suggestion to try the nwsp2 system disk is a good idea
One remark: The nwsp2 is a better device then a 2big1, cpu is 2x faster + nwsp2 has 4 times the amount of RAM

But can the disk of the nwsp2 in your 2big1, just write the normal 2big1 kernel to sda6 (so not the standalone) to the disk of the nwsp2 and put that in your 2big1. It should boot but some modifications might be required to get all features working
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby uelpenich » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:48 pm

After a factory reset I got the uboot working again.
The factory reset is a little bit complex and therefore I called it "a ceremony". (you have to watch the blue and red front LEDs)

I'm not sure what the Lacie uboot does. I think it does more than only booting an image.

The manual says that the factory reset formats the disk. Where is this formating firmware? In the uboot? Maybe it is also responsible for the RAID configuration.

The manual says after the factory reset you are able to write the LaCie firmware. But I couldn't succeedd. The Lacie tool didn't find the NAS. Furthermore I couldn't find any LaCie suitable firmware image in the internet, only incremental updates.

I found no hint that the 2big1 was sold diskless. Maybe there is no chance to get a 2big1 alive again with a blank disk.

All LaCie Docs don't distinguish between 2big1 and 2big2, if you find any doc you are not sure if it suits to your device.

Back to FVDW firmware.
I set the RAID selection switch to "big", and prepared a spare 1TByte disk using a Gparted linux system. I copied the firmware from a stick to the partitions.
The 2big1 booted only from the disk in the left hand side slot (seen from the rear side).

PS: the standalone kernel failed to format the 1.8TByte partition 8. This was another reason to prepare the disk by a Gparted linux system.
uelpenich
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby scolloca » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:16 pm

hi all,
i am new, and i have a Lacie 2big network v1 dead (almost problems with disks....). Can I install your firmware even if it does not boot and it catchs no ip?

Thanks you

In that case, the procedure to follow is that?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1476

Bye
Silvio
scolloca

Postby uelpenich » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi Silvio,

This topic
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1476

works only if your NAS runs a former version of the FVDW-SL firmware. It is not suitable for a NAS running the original LaCie firmware.

The support of a 2big1 is quiet new and still a bit experimental. Today there is no installation package as described in the topic. If you are familiar with linux (gparted) I'll send you the necessary information to prepare a boot disk (the 2big1 uboot supports only hard drives with 2TByte max).

This version doesn't support RAID disks. If you want a RAID system you have to wait for version 16.

Bye
Werner
uelpenich
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby scolloca » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi, Werner
Thanks for your answer. At the moment my NAS is dead, no web interface and no network signals so also without raid support, firmware is welcome.
I know gparted and dd quite well, so please send me the instructions. At the moment I have only one 500 gb available: is it possible to install firmware only by one disk?

BR
Silvio
scolloca

Postby uelpenich » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi Silvio,
a 500 GByte disk will work fine. The limit is 2TByte because the boot loader of a 2big1 doesn't support bigger disks.

For the first step you need a "first install package" of the FVDW-SL firmware. The internet space v1 (edmini_v2) is very similar to the 2big1 so you can use that package.
Here
http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=237&sid=d48fbb7fe22c8675837132a381d81afa

you will find it together with a description how to prepare the disk.
Unzip the appended archive, put the image "IMAGE-26394-5BIG21" and the content of the package to a memory stick.
Connect the disk and the stick to a system and boot a linux system, "gparted" for example.
Follow the instructions, but use "IMAGE-26394-5BIG21" instead of "uImage-26331-2-isp1".

Switch the 2big1 rotary switch on the rear to the "big" position, put the prepared disk into the left slot (seen from the rear) and boot it.
Ask the dhcpd of your router about the ip address given to the NAS. Open a browser window to this address.
Login to user admin password admin (with the newer versions (<13) the username was changed from admin to admin-nas).

Now you can do a firmware update to version 15.0 . You have to create a share called "fvdw" and to put the update package to this share.
http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1476
fvdw-sl-15-0 firmware for lacie internet space v1 and edmini_v2

Use the standard update method in the "firmware update" menu. But before you do a restart you have to replace the the kernel by the "IMAGE-26394-5BIG21" kernel. Put the kernel to the fvdw share and use an SSH client. Log into root with password giveit2me to do this. Look to the first install instructions to do this kernel copy.

Werner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uelpenich
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby scolloca » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:48 pm

:bananadance
Hi Werner, first part has worked in a perfect way: now my lacie 2bib v1 lives again!

Now, for the update, I beg your pardon but I have not understand it completely:

which "15" update package firmware do i have to download? the isp1 version or the 2big v2 version?
Then I have to create the share "fvdw" and to put the update package to this share. But when you say "Look to the first install instructions to do this kernel copy", which first install instructions are you telling about?

Thanks a lot
Silvio
scolloca

Postby Jocko » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi scolloca

As writing by Werner
Now you can do a firmware update to version 15.0 . You have to create a share called "fvdw" and to put the update package to this share.
http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1476fvdw-sl-15-0 firmware for lacie internet space v1 and edmini_v2

Use the standard update method in the "firmware update" menu. But before you do a restart you have to replace the the kernel by the "IMAGE-26394-5BIG21" kernel. Put the kernel to the fvdw share and use an SSH client. Log into root with password giveit2me to do this. Look to the first install instructions to do this kernel copy.

Download the last firmware image for ISP1 available on this post and unzip the archive where you want
In the web interface, use the lacie-firmware menu in Firmware update feature.
upload the bin file...
But don't restart the NAS (step3)
Currently, by default, a share 'public' is available after a first install. So save to it the kernel version IMAGE-26394-5BIG1-21.
Now you must use a shell terminal (Putty is very handy and you can find several post how install it on your PC)
The login for getting a shell access is by default
login= 'root'
password='giveit2me'
(of course without quote)
And put this command
Code: Select all
dd if=/share/1000/public/IMAGE-26394-5BIG1-21 of=/dev/sda6
(be careful to use sda6).
Now you can reboot your NAS and it should use version 15.0

Note: maybe you have to install some patches later.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby scolloca » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:58 pm

:woohoo
IT WORKS!

Thanks a lot to everybody
scolloca

Postby Razile » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 am

hi all, i have a 2big network v1 (at least i think it is a v1...in the label it only says 2big Network), but i dont have the originals hdd so no firmware, i tried to make it work using 2 500GB caviar green but even following the guide at nascentral i coulndt install the origina lfirmware, may i try to install your FVDW? i tryed searching but every link in this topic is unaccesible to me... :please
Razile

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs1