Performance issues

Performance issues

Postby riotshield » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:20 pm

Hello

Over the last couple of weeks, it appears that the cloubox is struggling a bit.
Main issue is that when playing video files through the minidlna server, every 5-10 minutes the video stops with an error message along the lines of “connection was lost” or something.
Also, I think probably connected to the above issue, folders named something like “lost-1025202362” appear in the root folder.

I think that also the access to the transmission interface and the system control panel is slower.

Is this a sign that the HDD is failing, is there something else I could look into?

Thanks
riotshield
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Performance issues

Postby fvdw » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:24 am

Is there a wired connection between your device playing the files? If so then lost connection means the server did not respond to a request to send data. This can have several reasons. For instance if it is busy with other tasks or indeed a failing disk. The lost files are not a good sign and pointing to a disk issue. You could run a smart test or use command line e2fsck command to search for bad sectors. Note that fe2fsck must not be used on a mounted disk. So use standalone kernel.
In case you have a wireless connection maybe there is disturbance if the signal by an external source.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby riotshield » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:41 am

It is a wired connection.
Yesterday I tried to play the files through VLC on Apple TV (which is wirelessly connected) instead of the TVs player, and it played without problems.
Will do the checkdisk and will report
riotshield
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby riotshield » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:27 pm

i connect with telnet but i get the error e2fsck: not found - any ideas why is that?
riotshield
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:44 am

Run fvdw-sl-programs and choose to upload the mini glibc package that will install e2fsck
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)