Torrent download speeds drop after 1 minute

Torrent download speeds drop after 1 minute

Postby riotshield » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:22 am

I am experiencing a strange issue. When I am downloading torrents via Qbittorrent client to the cloudbox, the DL speed starts at 10MB/s and after almost exactly 1 minute it falls to almost zero and starts again after 5 minutes or so, again for another minute.

It does not have to do with the router or ISP, I checked every setting possible, and when I am downloading to the local SSD speeds are maintained throughout the download. It seems that after 1 minute the cloudbox is "overwhelmed" by the torrent read/write process and halts - if there any way around it?

Running version 18-2
riotshield
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Torrent download speeds drop after 1 minute

Postby Mijzelf » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:11 pm

It doesn't surprise me that the box doesn't hold up with a sustained 10MB/sec. Torrent works with pieces, which are distributed in a random sequence. The client has to write those pieces in the target file, in their real position. With a piece size of 64kB ~ 1MB, that means that you get 10 ~ 160 pieces a second, which means that the disk has to move it's heads even so often, which takes typically 10~20 msec (random access time) each move. So the disk is using 0.1 ~ 3.2 seconds per second to only move the heads. Data tranfer has yet to be added.
When you are also seeding, that head moves (and data transfers) have to be added.

Mechanical harddisks are notorious bad in random access. The only way around is using an ssd, or having enough ram to keep the whole file in cache.
Mijzelf

Postby riotshield » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:05 am

Is it possible to replace the HDD with an SSD?
riotshield
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Hi

Why do you not use directly transmissionCli on your cloudbox ? :thinking
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby riotshield » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:36 am

I tried once but it created some issues and had to setup from beginning. I will give it another try
riotshield
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Mijzelf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 am

@Jocko: Am I missing something? Does it matter which torrent client is used for the current problem?

@riotshield: I wouldn't know why you couldn't install an SSD in the Cloudbox housing, except that you'll need some paper-clips and bubblegum, because the box is designed for 3.5" disks.
Mijzelf

Postby Jocko » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:24 am

Hi mijzelf,

I assumed riotshield uses its laptop to store the torrents in the nas via a remote resource because it wrote
riotshield wrote:When I am downloading torrents via Qbittorrent client to the cloudbox
Qbittorrent is not installed on the nas.
However transmissionCli is directly available via its gui and there is no issue with it. I can download with fast speed
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)