Nas is contacting an unknown ip address

Nas is contacting an unknown ip address

Postby egystep » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 am

Hello everyone.
I've connected my nas to internet after some years of tv-only usage. I've also upgraded from version 16.1 to 18.2.
What is strange is that the hdd spin up very often if no one is accessing the Nas.
I've noticed in wireshark that the nas periodically sends a "BROWSER" package to 192.168.1.255 but there are no clients at that IP.
The nas setup is very poor, only minidlna is enabled with no notify function. the spin-down is fixed after 30min.
The DHCP is disabled for the nas (the IP address is fixed).
I've looked for, in the web interface, for period broadcasting, pings etc. but didn't find anything :(
any help would be much appreciated :)
egystep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Nas is contacting an unknown ip address

Postby egystep » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:29 am

Moreover, it broadcasts a "Query Config Information Request" every minute :roll:
egystep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:36 am

This broadcasting is to become member of the workgroup set in lan settings, this doesn't cause disk spin up as no disc activity is involved. More likely something in your lan is contacting your nas, this could be dlna client contacting minidlna. What happens if you shut down minidlna?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby egystep » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 am

Hi fvdw, thanks for the reply.
You were right. it seems to be the ip-camera! I've "fixed" the issue by adding a Drop rule in iptables. now the nas wakes up only when someone access the ip camera (maybe the smartphone app scans the network?).
However, the iptables rule needs to be restored after each reboot...any suggestion? A cron script ?

I have something like this in mind

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.2 -j DROP

thank you
egystep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:30 am

Glad to hear you solved it, yes, there is an possibility to run user defined scripts after booting, see webinterface.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)