LaCie Cloudbox does not want to install new firmware

LaCie Cloudbox does not want to install new firmware

Postby haphiep » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:12 am

Hi,

My LaCie Cloudbox HD crashed some time ago, and i would like to reinstall it.
I tried to install the firmware via the network, but so far no luck. It seems my cloudbox does not start the network (I do not see it in the DHCP of my route) / the pc does not respond.
Is there another way to add the firmware to the LaCie? Like via a HDD image?

Thanks a lot in advantage.
haphiep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: LaCie Cloudbox does not want to install new firmware

Postby fvdw » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:47 am

fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby haphiep » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 pm

Yes, i did, but i have the feeling the whole LaCie does not contact the network. Hence looking for another way to insert a HDD with the required software on it already. Is that possible?
haphiep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:31 am

The cloudbox will connect unless you have flashed the bootloader. If that is not the case it must be something in your network. Please describe exactly your setup.
And did you follow the procedure as described? Connect cloudbox wired to the lan, switched off, start fvdw-sl console, choose action install firmware, load the correct standalone kernel (kirkwood). Wait for command window popup mentioning waiting for uboot and after that power on cloudbox. In the command window you should see boot interupt and the uploading and start of kernel. And finally after 15 sec a telnet window comes up to connect to the cloudbox.

Please note. Especially the point of having only one wired ethernet adapter active on your pc running the fvdw-sl console is very important. Disable all others otherwise the console will fail to connect to the cloudbox.

About inserting a disk with firmware. Yes possible but preparing that disk is not easy. Better use the fvdw-sl console. It works many others with a cloudbox (white casing) succeeded ;)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby haphiep » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:57 am

Hi,

On my laptop i disabled all network interfaces, besides 1 (LAN cable). This one is connected (via a switch) to my Internet Providers Router/Switch/DHCP server. It get's ip 192.168.178.134
The cloudbox is attached to the same switch. Since the old harddisk crashed i added another 1.5 TB disk in it.

Then i start the fvdw-sl-console
In the option i select the install firmware, and i select the:
UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone

Some dos box opens, and it states waiting for u-boot...
I start the CloudBox, i see the network cable connection LED on. But that is it. Nothing happens. I also do not hear the harddisk spinning up. So perhaps the whole cloudbox is dead :-(

Kind regards,

Marcel
haphiep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Mmm...what happens if you repeat this without a disk?
Sometimes these lacie devices have an issue with the power supply. You could try another power supply if you have one.

Ps the disk should spin up when you power up the cloudbox without being connected to the lan or when connected to the lan without the fvdw-sl console waiting for it.
If it fails to detect the disk properly the front led will blue flashing.
That could a test to see if your power supply is ok

ps 2. When using fvdw-sl console to interupt boot the disk will not spin up because boot is interupted before uboot (bootloader) resets the sata controller
When it interupts boot you should activity in the command window wit text waiting for uboot., like marvell>> and some info in uboot, then starting the upload of the kernel and starting it
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby haphiep » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Same thing happens (nothing). Without a disk i also do have a static blue led (not flashing).
But the weird thing is, i would expect the device to show up in my routers DHCP clients list, but i do not see anything with the Mac Address 00:d0:4b:etc
haphiep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 pm

does the drive powers up (spins) when not using fvdw-sl console ? Just normal startup.
You should be able to hear it starting.

i would expect the device to show up in my routers DHCP clients list

Why do you expect that ?
When no firmware is loaded or uboot is not interupted by the fvdw-sl console the network interface driver is not loaded on the cloudbox. That youu see a flickering light is just because your router sends some packates to the cloudbox.

What is the behavior of the blue led when you start the cloudbox with disk inside and with fvdw-sl console active?

And what is the bahvior of the blue led when booting the cloudbox with a disk inside without he fvdw-sl console being active.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby haphiep » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi,

Ok, you are right. DHCP is not used yet.

I tried all 4 scenarios, and in all cases i just have a steady blue led.

Any other suggestions / idea's :-)

Kind regards,

Marcel
haphiep
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:15 pm

This can be found in the manual about led behavior

http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/cb/07_device/led

So blue steady means device is ready. But before reaching that state it should do some binking and flickering. Is this the case?

And is there in one or more scenario's a spin up of the disk?
If not try another power supply.

ps How are your linux skills? and do you have a computer that run's linux ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)