Firmware v15 for Lacie Cloudbox

Re: Firmware v15 for Lacie Cloudbox

Postby fvdw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:53 am

I do not recognize this, you should be able to get 25MB/s (assuming you are on a gigabit LAN)
I think this must be a network problem. You could also try the ftp server. To see if it is related to samba. But in principle the samba server should acive the above number on this device.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ElBalsero » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:01 am

Hi again,
Sorry for the long silence. I went on holidays and then everything became crazy at work and now suddenly more holidays are coming (not that I'm complaining).
Anyway, I didn't have a lot of time to play around with my cloudbox but I wanted to make some tests before Christmas.
Definitely there is a problem with Samba. Transfers take for ever and fail continuously.
I have enabled FTP and NFS (the last one was a challenge and I'm not sure yet how I made it work) and when I try with them everything is fine. Speed is not arriving to 25MB/s but I also do not have gigabit LAN. Anyway, the speed is more or less as I recall and also the transference of files is smooth.
I made a couple of traces with wireshark (one for samba and one for nfs) and in the samba one there seem to be some issues.
I've not been able to attach them to the post. Perhaps are them too big (4MB each)?
Anyway, I'm not sure if those traces are really relevant or any other test would be better. I can help with whatever, just let me know.
Daniel

-----------------

Edited: the problem with the files seem to be only the extension. So I've put them together in a zip file and now I was able to attach it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:24 am

Hi ElBalsero,

I assume that you can use Putty.

There are two log files for the samba server :
Code: Select all
/var/log/samba/log.nmbd
 /var/log/samba/log.smbd
So could you post their content.

I assume that you kept the default share 'public', then do these command
cp /var/log/samba/log.*mbd /share/1000/public
chmod go+w /share/1000/public/log.*mbd
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:32 pm

...and which operating system do you use ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ElBalsero » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi,
I've been checking those suggested files but they are apparently only updated at boot time and not at all when transferring files via Samba. Perhaps is there a configurable debug level switch that needs to be set?
I'm using OSX. I also tried Windows and Samba is a bit better but not good yet. With the original firmware Samba was working as good as nfs and ftp work now.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Daniel
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:40 am

Hi elBalsero,

I've been checking those suggested files but they are apparently only updated at boot time and not at all when transferring files via Samba.
:disapprove
Currently, the debug level is 0 and so only critical errors and main warnings are logged.

So it seem that you don't have critical errors.

But you can increase the debug level as this :
-in putty do
killall smbd
and restart the daemon with this command
/usr/sbin/smbd -D -l /var/log/samba -d 1

Then the debug level will be 1. You can also try as level 2 or 3 but don't use higher level because the server will be very very... verbose and you could overload the system partition (=> need a reboot).

Note : in the web-interface, don't change any share or user account because you will restore the default level...
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby ElBalsero » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 am

Well... my holidays arrive and I've failed to finish this troubleshooting before. I'll continue in January then.
Meanwhile, merry Christmas to everybody, best wishes for the coming year and big thanks for all your help.
Daniel
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:18 am

one thing, I remember that I had a similar problem a while ago with one nas of me. Slow transfer of files when using samba (I didn't checked NFS or ftp that time). It appeared to be a network problem. After shutting the complete network down, switches and router (cut power) powering up and rebooting the router and then power up the switches it became normal again. I did some search on the internet and found that a miscommunication between router and a switch can occur that causes a high traffic of data between the two and limit lan capacity and speed significantly.
I was getting only around 1 MB/s at that time on a gigabit nework. After reset it became normal again (25 MB/s)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ElBalsero » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi all,

And January almost became March, but I was finally able to make some time for this.

After some research, I found out that all the issues I was facing with SMB are actually a combination of OSX Maverics compatibility issues with that protocol and that one of my old USB disks that I was using to test was about to die (and finally did).

The issue with OSX - Samba is apparently well known and reported and Apple might be able to fix it in the next version... or maybe not...

In any case, NTFS works perfect. I had some issues with the starting at boot, but after the installation of 15-1 they all are gone.

So far, I've been able to configure everything exactly how I had in mind when I run into your firmware and community, guys. I really would like to thank you a lot for all.

Regarding to 15-1 I have a question about that option that I had not noticed before at the bottom of the menus. It is called MesPhP and when I try to explore the options all what I get is 'Page not found' in the browser.

Anyway... again thanks a lot for all your support and for all your help. Best wishes.

Daniel
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi ElBalsero,

Regarding to 15-1 I have a question about that option that I had not noticed before at the bottom of the menus. It is called MesPhP and when I try to explore the options all what I get is 'Page not found' in the browser.
It's an orphan menu. I use it to develop the web-interface (debug, test,...)

If you install the usb-cumulative patch, it should disappear ;)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Previous

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)