Firmware v15 for Lacie Cloudbox

Re: Firmware v15 for Lacie Cloudbox

Postby ElBalsero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi,

I was working on this last night. Sorry not to have posted the update straight away. I finished late and I was very sleepy.

The backup of sda6 has been done and then I followed your advice for the backup of sda5. It worked as a charm. Actually it would be very easy to add it to a script if you want to include support for this kind of disk. Delete sda8 after warning that a backup of the user data has to be already done, create a 5GB partition with Linux filesystem and dd all partitions there and TFTP. It works perfect.

By the way, the final size of the sda5.img.gz was only slightly over the limit 244 GB.

Well after finishing and safely store the backups I manually deleted the partitions with gdisk (I was not able to get the script to do it, but it can be that I did not choose the right options) and then I started the script choosing the options of brand new non Lacie disk witout partitions.

It created all the new partition table and started to format and so. Then I left it running and went to sleep. This morning I found it had failed. The last error said something like 'error when writting the new firmware' or something like that.

I really didn't have more time to look into it this morning since I had to run to work. I'll try again tonight and hopefully I can give some better information about what is going on.

Thanks a lot for all your support again.
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ElBalsero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 pm

OK, it's done now :)
I think that the problem was that I did not reboot the disk after doing everything and some partitions were still mounted.
After rebooting I made a new try and everything was smooth. Now I have access to the web interface.
The next step is to make a firmware upgrade using the web interface and the specific cloudbox image that you posted in the forum.
I've created a 'fvdw' share and put the image there as it was posted originally. Then I choose it and write 'unzip' as control code, but I get the following error:
fail: check of the zip file, md5 file not found
What am I doing wrong?
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:52 pm

:bananadance
so the cloudbox with this new version of u-boot can boot the standard disk.

for upgrading the firmware you need the firmware upgrade menu, you are using the file upload menu.
I think we *forgot* to add the cloudbox to the list of devices. Give me a minute to have a look and send you a new file to correct this
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 pm

the upgrade menu look like this, do you see in your webinterface or not ?

fw-upgrade.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ElBalsero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 pm

No, it doesn't. I only have the 'upload patch' option...
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:18 pm

I found the error, its a bug in one of the scripts controlling the web interface.
You will miss several more menu's

Attached a patch file that you can upload using the upload menu.
After installing it you need to clear caches of your browser to see the missing menus
Now you should be able to use the firmware upgrade menu

cloudbox-tabs-patch-6nov13.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ElBalsero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah, after installing the patch and cleaning the cache the upgrade option appeared and I've upgraded. Now I'm in that version but the upgrade option is gone again.
Should I upload again the patch?
Is the patch solving the bug for all the menus or only for the upgrade one?
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm

yes you should apply the patch once more, it should restore all menu's suitable for the cloudbox
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ElBalsero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Done!
It seems to work fine!
Now I'll play a bit and report what I find.
I'll be out for a couple of weeks after Friday, so probably I will only send the report afterwards.
Thanks a lot for all your support.
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ElBalsero » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Ummhhhhh.... something is not going very well.
I have mounted the SMB default share in my computer (a mac) and also another one that I created and when I transfer files I get a very weird behaviour.
First of all everything is reaaaaaaaaally slow.
- It takes a long while to start the transfer.
- When transferring single files I get a lot an error saying 'the operation cannot be completed because the item <file that I'm transferring> is in use'.
- When transferring a folder with many files it takes also long to start and then it goes by boosts. Like doing nothing for a while, then it transfers a bit, then it stops, then another bit... and everything very slow.
- When deleting files many times fails complaining about unexpected errors.

Strangely enough, when using a windows computer it is still quite slow but seems to have less problems...

Anyway, the transfers were before quite smooth from any computer. The original firmware was using SMB by default, or am I making the wrong test?
ElBalsero
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)