Replace 3Tb disk with another 1Tb... is it possible?

Replace 3Tb disk with another 1Tb... is it possible?

Postby dabezt » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm thinking to change the 3Tb disk I've in a cloudbox white case. it's the original lacie cloudbox 3Tb disk, so it has original firmware, etc.

I've thougth about erasing all the content I've i 3Tb disk and to use an Usb 3.0 Sata III 2 bay Dock Station I've. It has a clone button ... and I'm wondering if it will be enough to clone the disk in order to have all the partitions needed to boot and run the original firmware on the 1Tb disk.

If it's not possible, there's any way to copy all the needed partitions from original cloudbox 3Tb to the new 1Tb? In order to have the original firmware on the 1Tb.

Thanks!
dabezt

Re: Replace 3Tb disk with another 1Tb... is it possible?

Postby fvdw » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:56 pm

difficult to say if it is a one to one clone process than most likely it will fail.
If you have a PC running linux you could the sata box and create the partiton table manual and then copy the images of every system partition. However the cloudbox uses a raid setup for all partitons. to be able to copy the data you will need to assemble the arrays first unless you copy each partition bit by bit using a program able to make partition images like Acronis. I believe a program like Acronis is able to copy a bigger disk to a smaller diks including partition table, it then modifies the size of each partition to fit. Acronis wil also copy partition tables if you make a backup if the whole disk
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: Replace 3Tb disk with another 1Tb... is it possible?

Postby dabezt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:00 pm

fvdw wrote:difficult to say if it is a one to one clone process than most likely it will fail.
If you have a PC running linux you could the sata box and create the partiton table manual and then copy the images of every system partition. However the cloudbox uses a raid setup for all partitons. to be able to copy the data you will need to assemble the arrays first unless you copy each partition bit by bit using a program able to make partition images like Acronis. I believe a program like Acronis is able to copy a bigger disk to a smaller diks including partition table, it then modifies the size of each partition to fit. Acronis wil also copy partition tables if you make a backup if the whole disk

Acronis 2017 is not able to clone latest (biggest, 2.7Tb partition)... "not compatible or partition with errors" :-(
Will try Clonezilla

Finnally tried fvdw firmware... it rocks! Recommended. Regards!
dabezt

Return to Lacie cloudbox (white casing)